1.8SE engine rattle

I have got an A3 1.8 SE which developed a rattle that has got worse over a period of time. The rattle starts when I begin to accelerate, after 1500 revs it dissappears.

I was told it was the Cam Belt whiplashing and it needed changing - I have since had the Cam Belt, water pump and the bearing changed and the noise is still the same. I did not have the tensioner which is seperate to the tensioner bearing changed because I was told it was ok.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be will be appreciated.

Mick

Reply to
Mick

Cam chain tensioner. The cambelt just drives the exhaust cam & runs up the front of the engine. There is then a cam chain that links the two cams together which is at the back of the head. Not a small job - you have to remove both the camshafts. Have a listen around the back end of the head - if it seems to be coming from there then odds on that's the culprit.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller