3800 engine chirping

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix with 135,000 miles. It has the 3800 v6, no super charger. The motor has developed a chirping sound. The noise only starts after the engine is hot. At first I suspected a bad water pump or some drive belt accessory but the noise is still there after I remove the serpentine belt. The noise sounds like a bad bearing. Is this likely to be a timing chain issue? What other part could cause this behavior? The oil has been changed at regular intervals and is dinosaur oil, not synthetic. Thanks for any help, Terry

Reply to
terry

Here is an update. I took the oil cap off to see if I could hear the noise coming from the valve train. The cap had a high vacuum, and as soon as I removed the cap the noise went away. Seems to be a vacuum leak somewhere, not sure why it is causing the noise. Terry

Reply to
terry

Reply to
Shep

That was the problem...I bought the car used and have never had the PCV valve out. I have owned it for nearly two years and this problem only showed up a few weeks ago. Strange. Thanks, Terry

Reply to
terry

some things to look for are sticking pulleys on the Alternator or the A/C. Since it is heat related it has to be something expanding when it gets hot.

Reply to
Les Benn