2000 A3 brake pads - cost to replace?

Any idea how much a Northern UK Audi dealer might charge to replace brake pads, as my warning light just came on. The car has done 65K miles. Not sure whether I should just take it to an independent garage I have used, any advice there?

cheers

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Front pads are so easy to change, you could do it yourself in 20 minutes. The dealer will not charge more than that.

Ronald

Reply to
reply

20 minutes is a bit optimistic if you've not done it before, and want to spend some time cleaning up the calipers. It *is* easy though. I'd estimate a dealer would probably sting you for about £80-100 including parts.

Personally, I'd do it myself with parts from ECP or GSF: If you don't fancy that, use the independent but insist on OE-quality pads- something like Pagid. I changed discs and pads on my A3 including a very thorough clean up, in a couple of hours, and the parts cost about £50 IIRC.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

And the rest :)

Labour in most Audi dealers is £100 an hour, plus parts plus VAT, don't expect much change from £200 :(

Reply to
Ronny

And the danger of needing disks which may double it !

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

plus the advice your rear pads are looking low & they recomend new disks all round, been there!

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

I went to an independent: £273 for new discs (corroded) on front + 4 pads and an MOT. Not too bad I suppose.

Reply to
Alex

Wise decision to use an independent. I paid £200 for front disks and pads on my A4 2.8 Quattro at an independent so your price sounds ok.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

Slightly off topic...but not significantly so: My US spec 2000 A4 actually wore through the rear pads before the fronts. At 75K miles, I still have the original front pads in place with about 8mm of material left. You have to keep an eye on them as the rear pads do not have a thickness sensor.

Regarding the rotors: as long as the OP tends to the matter soon, it's not likely he will need them. That's the intent behind the sensor and warning indicator.

Ken

Reply to
KWS