2004 A4 Purchase Decision..

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about trading in my 2001 325ci for a 2004 3.0 A4. It seems the pricepoint on the A4 is good in this area ($600 over invoice). Two questions... from real users out there, how does the A4 compare to the 325ci.. (automatic transmission).. I know the A4 has a more powerful engine.. what abou handling, RELIABILITY is also big with me - I had HUGE reliability problems with the BMW. The second question is whether it is advantageous to trade-in now after 3 years or wait longer.. I still owe $ on the BMW (purchased)... Thanks..

Reply to
SFLGuy24

"SFLGuy24" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m01.aol.com...

I would say Audis are reliable, however there are horror stories on all german cars. Up to now I was happy with all my BMWs and my Audi, even at high mileages.

Reply to
GT

Here's a data point for you. I have a 99.5 A4 2.8L Quattro 5 speed, purchased with 80 k miles 6 months ago. I've had the following problems:

1) All 4 door squeal badly when opened or closed. The drivers side rear window clicks and clacks.

2) The alarm system is a useless nightmare. It would go off without the slightest provocation. I've had most of it disabled. A few days ago I came out of Hellmart and heard a car alarm going off. Wasn't my car--it is was somebody's A6.

3) The drivers seat now squeaks during any acceleration.

4) The windshield wiper jets are positioned such that it is impossible to adjust them so that the wipers do not interfere with the spray. The headlight washer pump was in a state of disintegration when I bought it, causing profuse fluid leakage. I pulled the whole thing out and plugged the hole with a cork.

5) The crankshaft position sensor is now failing, causing intermittent restart problems.

On the other hand......

1) The 190 V6 seems to be a wonderful engine. Smooth and powerful, though it does sag quite a bit in the heat. Some complain that the 2.8L Quattro is underpowered. I disagree. True, it is not a chipped S4.

2) I have the sport suspension package and the car handles very well. It is supremely confident on the highway, I thought superior to the

328i, though the BMW does have superior cornering road feed back. This A4 does have some body roll and understeer, but not a bad.

3) It is truly a driver's car. Heretofore a very conservative driver, I drive this thing like a maniac. I have to constantly exert self-control.

So would I buy the '04 A4 with a the 3.0 liter engine??

Yes.

Dave

Reply to
Interious

Should read: "All 4 door windows squeal badly..."

snip

Reply to
Interious

I have an 02 A4 3.0 and the only problem that occurred to date was with the coils. There is one coil fo reach injector and Bosch had some problems with them. Audi provided a rental while they replaced the coils and car has been trouble free since then.

-JB

Reply to
Jim Bransfield