2004 A4 Running Lights

I am told that the Canadian models have provisions for turning on the front fog lights by themselves to satisfy their requirement for daytime running lights. Does anyone know if there is there a simple modification to do the same in a US 2004 A4 model? Thanks Len

Reply to
Len Sadauskas

I'm sure that some shop can by-pass whatever switch is in the line, but why? The trouble with "running lights", as you call them, is that they are fog lights, not running lights. At night you will see lots of folks running their fogs along with their headlights. I guess it's supposed to look cool, but with old farts like me with a mild cataract in the left eye, it means just two more lights to deal with while driving towards you. Turn 'em off. Ya got fog -- turn 'em on.

Dave

03 RS6
Reply to
Dave LaCourse

With a VAG tool at your Audi dealer, or your own pc-based emulator (eg: VAG-COM) you can enable DRLs.

I think it'd be cheesy, though. I'm glad the US models didn't foist that on us...yet...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Yeh...like air bags are cheesy, or seatbelts. The Canadians didn't mandate it to be "cool"...they did it because there's sound research showing fewer daytime accidents when cars have lights on in the daytime. Why they don't mandate here is beyond me. Ditto an interlock between the windshield wipers and the headlights.

Reply to
curmudgeon

That was a nice swing from the heels, but you totally missed the pitch.

Steeeeerike!

My comment regarded the use of FOG LAMPS for DRLs, not DRLs in general. Using the dipped beams would be ok, better would be separate low-output lamps within the headlight cluster, which would take care of what to do with Xenon dipped or even bi-Xenon lamps.

Fog lamps are for fog...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Exactomulndo.

I, however, do run my normal headlights during the day. I think that running lights are ok, but not fog lamps at night. The problem with folks running their fog lamps at night with their headlights is that most of them don't realize there is an off switch. Of course, the "cool" part of it is also a problem.

Whatever...... fog lamps are for fog, not running lights.

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

The modification is not trivial, if it is done in full compliance with laws involving when fog lights can/cannot be on (in combination with other lights) in Canada as well as several European countries.

It does appear that you should be able to put a jumper across two terminals on the headlight switch, but if it were that simple, then that is the way Audi would have done it.

The modification involves a new wiring harness and a control module -- needed to force the fog lights on whenever the ignition is switched on, but to go out when the headlights are switched on manually. This also leaves the driver able to switch the fog lights on together with the low-beams, via the switch, just as in the normal US configuration.

Different juridictions have slightly different laws that dictate when fog lights can be legally used. Audi's modification seems to meet the laws not only in Canada, but also in Europe. A simple switch jumper would be illegal in many locales.

But if you can get your headlight switch out of the dash, and determine which terminals to short out, go ahead. That assumes, however, the the switch is carrying direct current to the lights or to a relay, and is not part of an electronic switching circuit. Pretty soon, none of the switches in cars will carry be constant-contact, but will be momentary-contact, to provide a (coded) pulse/signal to control a fully electronic system. Much less wiring, much lower currents, and much cheaper to manufacture and tailor for different models and countries.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

There is a mod, but it isn't simple. I had it done to a '98 A6 -- 3 hours labor. Talk to your Audi dealer, or call one in Canada if your local dealer is unfamiliar.

However, I would just turn on the (low beam) headlights manually -- a lot cheaper, and after a while, it becomes as automatic as fastening your seat belt.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

I thought that setting up DRLs on the B6 A4 was a simple configuration change using VAG-COM, or similar - see

Peter Bell

This was even mentioned on Day 1...

Some people must enjoy finding the hardest way to do things, I reckon ;-)

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Well, I guess Audi finally smartened up. That certainly won't work on a '98 model car, however.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

No, nor on my 2003 RS6 - but the OP was asking about a 2004 A4 (hence a B6 model).

Reply to
Peter Bell