2004 Audi A4

Hi Everyone!

I am new to Audi cars... but love the look and drive of one. I am looking at purchasing a 2004 A4, but wanted to know if anyone has had any major problems with them... also if anyone has free access to a full VIN report it would be a great help... thanks!

Ro

WAULC68E34A019033

Reply to
Ro

Ro, I have a 2004 A4 1.8T and it's been great - I just had my 25k mile service done yesterday. The only on-going issue I have had (and it's certainly not a major item) is the glovebox, they just ordered my third latch for it..... In terms of buying a used one, I would be sure to get the service records, if they are available. If it's the 1.8T engine, you'll want to make sure it's had regular oil changes at the VERY least in conformance with Audi's recommendation, and preferably more frequently (like 3 - 5k).

What are the details on the one you're looking at?

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

I've had 3 Audis. First one was 1999 A3 1.8 Sport, which rather sadly met its demise when it had an argument with a hedge at 50mph (however I walked away from that!). I was most upset, I really liked that car! Niggles... the dashboard lights were always illuminated even when the headlights/sidelights were off, as a result a couple of times at night I drove off forgetting to turn lights on. Other niggle, the dashboard clock was analogue.

Second one was a 2001 A4 1.9 TDI (the 130PS model with the red I). This was great, niggles... rear windows were manual, and it had a tendency to eat front tyres. 130bhp going through the front wheels (with 229lb/ft of torque - diesel power remember) meant it chewed its way through 3 sets of front tyres in 25,000 miles. It also tended to slip the front wheels when changing up to 2nd following a quick take-off (eg off the lights), but didn't have a problem with torque steer. I've since driven the new shape A4 (2005 model) with a 2.0 TDI engine, and this suffered a lot from torque steer. 140bhp with masses of torque going through the front wheels... the 2.0 TDI *needs* Quattro.

This car developed a serious problem with the braking system, which started with the vacuum pump failing (meaning that I lost all servo assistance). This was rectified, then the brake servo failed, then other parts were replaced, end result being that the car went in 6 times in as many weeks. In the end I lost confidence in this car and traded it in.

Currently have a 2003 A4 1.9 TDI Quattro (again the 130bhp engine with red I). Much the same as the previous one, but with the two niggles sorted out. The rear windows are now electric, the front wheels don't slip when accelerating hard, and as for tyre wear... I've done 8,000 miles in it since I got it in August, and the tyres aren't showing visible wear. On the front wheel drive version I'd have been down to 3mm tread after 8,000 miles on the front wheels.

To drive though... they're fantastic, whichever one you get. Even the A2's not bad (I wouldn't buy one of these though). So far in Audi's range I've driven:

A2, 1.4 TDI, 1.4 TDI Sport A3, 1999 1.8 Sport, 2005 2.0 TDI Sportback A4, 2001 2.0, 2001 1.9 TDI, 2003 1.9 TDI Quattro, 2005 2.0 TDI A6, 2005 2.0 TDI

Haven't driven an A8 yet, or any of the S-series. Although the local dealer has promised me a go in the RS4 when they get their demonstrator in next year!

I've also driven a couple of Merc C-classes, and the A4 is much more a driver's car. The C-class is lovely to ride in as a passenger, but if you're sitting in the driving seat I'd pick the A4 every time. Although this may be because I really didn't like the automatic gearbox in the Merc, my A4Q has a 6-speed manual.

Reply to
Glenn Richards

You will find the quattro is great on tyres, I can go 30-40k miles on 1 set :)

No need for rotation and all that either, they tend to wear almost identical.

Reply to
Ronny

Well.....no. All current quattro cars suffer from terminal understeer, and if you drive enthusiastically you're gonna see front tire wear quite different from the rears...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

You drive an A4 so you don't count :)