80 cant rev past 5k

I have a 80 2.0e 3A engine, allthough I can rev to the red line in neutral I cant seem to take it past 5k while being drivern, I have allready changed plugs and filters any ideas?

Reply to
Oliver Gunnell

Is this an automatic?

full throttle switch working? I have seen some screens inside of the large intake manifold rubber boot turned upside down? exhaust restriction like a partially clogged cat. conv? possibly wrong fuel pump relay causing the pump to shut down at a certain rpm?? restriction in the air intake for the air filter box? oil level too full? incorrect adjustment of the accelerator cable? bad distributor cap, rotor, plug wires or ign coil? bad knock sensor?

to name a few reasons or possible causes off the top of my head.

later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

This is a manual, what I dont understand is in neutral it free revs and sounds really smooth I can hit the red line with the pedal to the floor

But why do things change under load?, does the above rule out cable and throttle problems, under point towards poor fueling or air?

Reply to
Oliver Gunnell

free revving, i.e. not under load needs very little power (not a good idea for longevity), As soon as you put the engine under load, the spark has to work harder, you need more fuel, the advance and retard mechanism whether mechanical or electronic changes the timing, the amount of air drawn through the airfilter increases etc etc.

So any one (or more) of the suggestions already given.

Des

Reply to
Des

I do get your point, but can i rule out accelerator cable problems and full throttle switch working as would these if not right affect free reving too?.

Reply to
Oliver Gunnell

I think I need to see if there are any fault codes in the ecu dont I, Could anybody point me to a help page on this agian for a 1989 2.0e 3A engine?

Reply to
Oliver Gunnell

Most things are easy to check and not expensive for you to do, so why not check them out? ;-) Sometimes the simple things can cause the problem that you are experiencing. Like too much oil in the engine or an accelerator cable that is not properly adjusted. Even an upside down screen in the intake boot. Check things out!!!

Does your ECM/ECU have blink code ability? I don't think that the Ross-Tech Vag-Com tool will work with your 89. :-( Do you have a good repair manual for this Audi? It might give you some other suggestions.

Oh and BTW when did you start experiencing this problem? What happened before the engine would not give you full power? How does the engine idle? Maybe the injectors are partially clogged??

dave

My guess, a faulty MAF sensor.

Reply to
Ernest