noisy engine problem in 93 impreza

Hi all, My 93 impreza just developed a loud noise coming from the engine. Noise is loudest while idling, it seems to die down somewhat when I press the gas pedal and give the engine a lot of gas. It sounds like a tractor. Once in a while while I am stopped in neutral the engine will rev up for just a second, without my pressing the gas.

I changed the spark plugs and spark plug wires, to no avail.

Any ideas of what is wrong will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Godfrey

Reply to
Godfrey Muganda

Edward Hayes

Thanks Ed. That seems to make sense.

I had the timing belt replaced 8 months ago. Did the mechanic do something wrong, or is this noise unrelated to the quality of work done.

I need to know if I should take it back and ask them to fix it.

Also, can you tell me what the timing belt tensioner is? Is it a separate part that will have to ve replaced, or is it just that the timing belt tension needs to be adjusted?

Thank you so much

Godfrey

Reply to
Godfrey Muganda