'87 Type 44 replacement parts question(s)

Does anyone have any advice on what to do about replacing the crank-case breather hose with something besides the oem over-priced molded hose that goes bad much sooner than it should (this will be the third in this cars life), and whether there are any year type 44s that doesn't have plastic tanks on it's radiator that I can use since mine is leaking now and cannot be repaired- (this will also be this cars third radiator as well). I mean, how many times during a car's life should you have to replace things like these? I've never replaced so many parts on one car in my life.

Reply to
Antony R.

Anthony, I know what you mean - my '87 5ktq was abused by its previous owners - folks who know that "oil goes in there...gas in there" and very little else. (The plastics and rubber under the hood of these cars are always under attack - the plastics by the heat (especially in the case of a turbo-equipped car) and the rubbers by chemicals such as the power steering fluid (which is often leaking from the power steering pump). I vaguely recall something on Audifans.com about the crank vent hose - I've never had to replace it (although nearly everything else around it is new). Modine makes a metal end capped rad for the T44's - there's one in my car I got from a local junkyard and although it has a pinhole where the rad collided with the ps pump fittings (the wreck was rear-ended), it cools infinitely better than the ol' plastic capped rad (came with the car and blew up in our parking lot). Most of the things I've replaced with new parts on the car are still in good shape - I've had good luck with my semi-regular walks through the local wrecking yard (most of the T44's there have many new parts in them as well). I can't comment on why the parts (like the vent hose) are failing regularly - BTW, they're $27.95 at Blaufergnugen

- are you buying the parts from the dealer or from an outside supplier? Cheers! Steve Sears - see my fleet:
Audi 5kTQ

1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

"Antony R." wrote in message news:rhXqc.6944$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Reply to
Steve Sears

On the crank case breather issue: There is a thread on the Audi World forum where one of the posters made his own replacement that seemed to be more durable. Try a search in the history about six months ago.

That is the type 44 forum.

T> Anthony,

Reply to
TonyJ