Jeep CJ-7 radiator replacement

Mike Romain or Doug W, a while back you posted a link to a recommended Jeep Radiator dealer. Can you post it again? Thanks

My Radiator has sprung a leak

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Jo Baggs

radiatorbarn.com

3 core is best if you are in a hot area and do a lot of wheeling, sit in traffic a lot, or have a winch or lights blocking the intake. Otherwise I'd stick with the stock 2 core.

Then again I have had good luck with NAPAs echlin line (high end). That's what is in the ZJ right now.

If you want to stick with OEM use either buymopar.com or chryslerpartsdirect.com I like CPD, they don't try to rip you off.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks Doug, I should have mentioned I have a SBC in my 86 CJ. Does the three core really cool that much better?

I recall it was either you or Mike who posted a link to some company that made aluminum radiators. I don't even know if aluminum is considered a better radiator. However, I figured if the info came from you or Mike, it must be good.

Thanks

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Jo Baggs

Yep. The overall effect is the antifreeze moves slower through the rad and gets more time to transfer heat. Not sure about how much better (probably 20% or so) most vehicles built for towing use them. I guess in the winter you could throw up a radiator block like the large trucks do.

radiatorbarn makes the all aluminum.

Found this while looking about.

It's a zink anode for the cooling system. Although with proper antifreeze levesl and changes I don't know if it would be worth the investment.

Reply to
DougW

Oh, I was going to add that the all aluminum radiator is considered better because it doesn't have the pinched on plastic side tanks of the OEM unit. Therefore it doesn't tend to leak there and even if it gets a leak the leak can be TIGed over by any decent shop.

Had to replace mine when the seal between the rad and plastic side tank started leaking. Couldn't recrimp it.

Reply to
DougW

The coolant doesn't move slower, it just gives it more passages to go through, hence more cooling square inch surface area compared to 2 or

3 core rad's.

Reply to
Socks

Thanks Doug

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Jo Baggs

Actually Socks, Doug W is correct. Given the same volume of water pumped by a water-pump, if the molecule of water normally took say five seconds to pass from in-take to out-take with a single core radiator, now with a three core radiator it would now take that molecule say seven or eight seconds. You're both right.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Jo Baggs

Yep. One answer is Thermodynamics and the other Fluid Dynamics. :) Your friend, the single pass cross-flow heat exchanger.

Reply to
DougW

I'd never consider an aluminum radiator or one with crimped plastic tanks for off road use. Too many places for fatigue cracks to start, neither type is repairable.

A good radiator repair shop should be able to do a full rebuild on an existing CJ-7 radiator for well less than $100. (My last session was $60 or so)

Price of c>> Jo Baggs wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks for the additional information on that. I learn something new everyday.

Reply to
Socks

I had mine done locally. They recored it for me and it works well.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Mike Romain or Doug W,
Reply to
Mike Romain

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:06:20 -0600, Jo Baggs wrote: []

My '85 came with a three-core. I've never had any kind of heat issues under any circumstances. The temp gauge has always remained rock-solid at the same place, slightly lower in winter.

Reply to
Dale Beckett