<98 low mile A4 or >99 hi mile?

Dear all, I have about ¢G9k to spend and am wanting to replace my N95 A4 1.8 Auto with an SE or T that has climate control and better alarm+remote c/locking. My car has got the typical early A4 immobiliser reader coil failing to recognise key problem and err... no air con... yes I know the heatwave is gonna go soon but I had always wanted a new machine anyway, just a coincidence I swear. ;-) So I'd like to know if the pre-facelift models still have the immobiliser problem? I've seen on Autotrader there are quite a few 60k miles, with

9k would you go for the former or the latter? Or any other place I should be looking for good deals? I like the A4 and would like to stick with the model. I know the A6 is nice too, should I go for that instead, would the 9k be better spent on an A6 or any other car I should also consider?

Cheers, Jules

***24 hours in a day...24 beers in a case...coincidence?***
Reply to
Dr Joolz

Can you tell me more about the 'the typical early A4 immobiliser reader coil

What are the symptoms? I've got a 96 A4 2.6 V6 auto, having cutting out/stalling problems, can be on freeway, sitting in traffic, in the middle of a roundabout! Currently suspecting the ECU but it's an expensive part....

Reply to
Bear

Hi what you're having sounds more like a mechanical problem, fuel is not injected in time or the engine running too lean or something, I don't know much about that I'm afraid, try AudiWorld.com. My problem is to do with the Audi immobiliser system, when you insert a key (which has a microchip) the reader coil sends a signal to the key and checks its ID, if that fails to bounce back or gives a wrong ID it will flash a key icon on the dash and will not let you start the car, to be precise it lets you start the car but cuts it out after 2 seconds (why this way however I don't know). On earlier models, the reader coil fails after about 6-7 years of everyday use, for no specific cause the problem will almost certainly occur. It's a design fault in my opinion but I don't think Audi will admit that. They can replace the reader coil and recode the keys for you at a charge, probably about 100-200 UK pounds, roughly 80-160 US$ I estimate.

Hope you'll get your car fixed soon with little cost/hassle.

Cheers, Jules

Reply to
Dr Joolz

"Dr Joolz" skrev i melding news:bhc12v$dsl$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk...

No coincidence..................

Reply to
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

Thought so too :-) So err... any advice on my original questions?

Reply to
Dr Joolz