1st gear stiff

Hi, I have a 2000 A4 1.8 T Quattro, and the 1st gear gets quite stiff usually in the morning when it's cold. Any ideas what I should check or what might be wrong with the clutch/gearbox? I bought it 2 months ago from an Audi dealer, is it likely to be something the 12-month warranty will cover?

Cheers, Jules

***24 hours in a day...24 beers in a case...coincidence?***
Reply to
Dr Joolz

Your first manual?

Pretty much all manual trannies are a bit recalcitrant going from 1 to 2 when cold to the bone. If the shifting is satisfactory when the trannie fluid is warm your dealer will tell you "They are all like that"...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

"Dr Joolz" skrev i melding news:bnjnhh$dhv$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk...

Nothing is wrong. This is normal in cold weather, when shifting from first to second. It gets much better when the car warms up. In extremely cold weather, like occasionally in winter here in Scandinavia, it can get almost impossible to shift gear (manually) from first to second, because of the extreme cold. We also need extra powerful heavy-duty car batteries in our winter climate, plus some places even studded (ice) tyres. But you soon get used to it. This is just normal.

Reply to
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

OP, are you perhaps a female driver who doesn't know what the hell to do with the car?

Reply to
xymergy

How cold? I've found the factory gear oil to be pretty stiff down around 0F. There are synthetic gear oils that have a flatter viscosity curve over temperature. They can make a big difference. Same goes for synthetic engine oils. They make a huge difference starting in the very cold.

Gene

Reply to
Gene

Hi all, thanks for your advice, it's mainly putting into 1st gear in the first place from neutral, 1st to 2nd is fine. And yes, forgive me, it's my first manual and turbo, hence the stupid questions.

Cheers, Jules

Reply to
Dr Joolz

That's completely normal. If you replace the gear oil with the correct synthetic replacement, cold weather stiffness will mostly disappear.

Cheers,

Chris Mauritz

Should I use fully synthetic then, like Mobile 1? If you could tell me which specific brand/ratio to get that'd be great too.

Thanks, Jules

Reply to
Dr Joolz

I would suggest full synthetic. Mobil 1 is certainly a good brand. That's what I use in my A4. I'm not certain which weight of gear oil you'll need in your transmission though. You'll need to consult your service manual for that.

Best regards,

Chris Mauritz

I suggest you look at the Red Line Gear oil; I highly recommend their products. The following url maybe of help.

Cheers,

Tony

Reply to
Tony

So if I want to change to the new type of oil, do I just pour it in or do I have to drain it first. Also can someone recommend a good set of sports suspension for the A4 1.8 T Quattro? My rear ones are wearing out and are quite a bit lower than the front... I may also need some new brakes, does anyone know what to get for little brake dust and high performance? Brand and part no will be helpful too.

Cheers, Jules

Reply to
Dr Joolz

Don't confuse Gear Oil with Engine Oil!!

Engine oil goes in under the hood. Gear Oil on these cars goes straight into the transmission under the car.

I use Mobil 1 for the engine oil. However, if it's a brand new car, I suggest running a normal, even crappy, oil for the first 10,000 miles or so, then change to a synthetic. If you start out with a synthetic the car literally will never break in. The parts will never mate as well and you'll never see your best power or gas mileage. The engine needs to wear for the first few thousand miles to do this.

I've used Red Line in my manual transmissions. It made a big difference in very cold weather shifting when the car was cold.

....oh, but I see that it's a 2000. Yea, I'd use synthetic for the Engine Oil as well.

Reply to
Gene

So if I understand you right, I should use synthetic engine oil and Red Line gear oil right? I suppose changing the gear oil might mean a trip to the garage then.

Cheers, Jules

Reply to
Dr Joolz