A Hypothetical Question

As we know, Audi is a Division of Volkswagen, as Lexus is to Toyota. With that said, I'm a VW guy (have been for 40 years). There is speculation, based on paranoia for the most part, that if VW's sales in the US keep declining, VWoA may cease to exist in ten years. Although I have to wait until my wife's SUV is paid for, I'm already compiling a short list of possible replacements for my aging Golf. Some of these possibilities include a 2.0T Passat, an Audi A4, a Jetta, a Jag X-Type, and a Volvo S60. My preference would be either VW/Audi, of course, BUT.......if VWoA were to actually pack their bags and pull out od the uS, as they almost did in

1993, would Audi still be here? Or would they be gone, too? I ask because, A)I'm very devoted to VW, and Audi would be the closest alternative if that were to happen and, B) Audi's sales, although smaller, seem to be on the rise despite the Mother Company's decline. I think VW will see much improvement in 2006 with all the new models coming, but I just wanted to see what some of you thought about the remote yet possible OTHER scenario......................
Reply to
Sills

Well, I would find it hard to imagine a scenario where VW would pull out of the US. That said, I really qiestion their strategy over the past few years. The Phaeton was a total bust, sales-wise. Not sure what that was all about. VW products seem to be becoming more Audi-like, including price. Have you seen pricing on the new Passat?? The new VW products seem to be mirroring Audi's product line. Even the styling, with the big chrome beak, echos Audi's single-frame grille. The new Jetta is downright ugly and was only available with an automatic initially! The new Golf is on an 18 month roll-out plan here. They have no minivan. They are coming out with a convertible to poach the sales of the A4 cabriolet. They just seem all messed up. Audi, on the other hand, has a pretty coherent line-up and strategy. I just doon't understand what VW is these days.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

"Sills" wrote

I'm sorry, but to me, basing your current (or near future) car buying decision on what may or may not happen 10 years from now is just a waste of time.

Besides, even if they pull out of the US (and that's a huge 'if' I think), the service, which is the most profitable part of the entire car business will stick around. That's because the dealerships, although they'll move on to selling something else, will still have the personnel trained in servicing these cars, and parts sales will surely remain as well.

Now, as for the direction in which VW is going, slowly encrouching on Audi's territory - well, that's a whole other issue. :)

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete