A8 Gearbox Fault

Hi I have a gearbox fault with my 97 A8. I was driving up the motorway and decided to pull my steering wheel closer, as I hit the button all the gearbox indicaters on the dash lit up together "PRND432" and the car wouldnt shift in to top gear, I limped home and then found the car wouldn't reverse. Has anyone had any experiance with this fault and would you let me know what it is please? My garage wants to charge me £2400 for a rebuild of the gearbox, but I think it is an electronic fault. Any help greatly appreciated.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

I had a similar problem with my 1997 A4 2.8Q. One day, suddenly, all of the gearbox indicators lit up. The car would relunctantly shift from gear to gear; it always felt strange though. And it would not shift to the top gear. My car would reverse though, with a big clunk. My mechanic simply reset the switch that tells the computer what gear it's in; I think it called the multifunction switch (I forgot). Maybe you can have it reset or replaced. It worth a try.

I'm not sure though, if we have the same problem. Try another mechanic perhaps.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

Sounds like electronics to me. Can you find someone to get it on VAG-COM or a 1552 analyser (or whatever the correct diagnostic tool is for an a8)?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The gearbox control unit believes there to be fault, and has gone into 'limp' mode.

Has the garage actually checked the diagnostic fault codes? The CU should be reporting what it believes the fault to be. In the first instance, just resetting the fault codes may resolve the problem.

You need someone with access to the VAG-COM software/cable, or similar.

I have this, but Reading is probably too far to travel - someone in the Nottingham area must be able to help. Can I suggest that you register with

and ask there in the VAG-COM forum.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Whoops, that should have been

Peter Bell

Thanks for the help everyone, I have asked on tyresmoke.net and a few people have replied, they have the same opinion that it is probably electrical and to check what the fault codes were. I have been back to the garage and they tell me the fault code was "Shift solenoid locked" I don't know if this helps anyone to give any more suggestions but all help is greatly appreciated.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Geesus, it's pointing right at the problem. Are they waiting for the tool to draw a fecking "X" on the bad part for them?

For god's sake take your A8 to someone who has a clue!

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd - trust me, these people you're dealing with are idiots...

Reply to
daytripper