Accumulator Leak '82 4000

I have an '82 4000 4 cyl gas which is leaking fuel from around the adjustment screw on the top of what I think is the accumulator. I have tried to tighten this adjustment screw to little avail. It seems to have two settings now: let the gas pour out onto the ground and let the gas drip out onto the ground (I currently have it set on the later). The database at Autozone doesn't know what an accumulator is (nor have any of the employees heard of an Audi before, I have to spell it 'A-U-D-I' each time I visit or call).

I'm pretty new to car repair, but I assume that fuel is _not_ supose to pour or drip from the screw on the top of the accumulator and that all I need to do is replace it. Autozone can order a part called a fuel regulator for $111. Is this the part I need and/or can anyone give me a tip regarding where I should purchase audi parts (Athens, Ohio, USA), used and mail order parts are fine, the cheaper the better.

Also, any tips on replacing the thing (if that's what I need to do) would also be appreciated.

BTW: I have stopped smoking in and around the car, and have tried to encourage others to do likewise until I get this fixed.

Thanks.

Reply to
Blink

If it is truly what you need: Accumulator will be under the rear of the vehicle not too far from the fuel pump and fuel filter. Where is this part you are talking about? IIRC It should have two fuel lines screwed onto it. The fuel pressure (control or warmup) regulator might be bolted to the engine block not too far from the ign. distributor and oil filter housing.

431-133-441C should be the fuel accumulator for the 4 cyl gas FI engine powered Audi 4000. Dealer or good import place that sells Bosch parts can get you one. A good used one is an option, but the years might only be from 1980-1983 in the USA. Might also be some VWs that use it too, such as Jettas or Rabbits, or early Golfs. Spray the fuel lines with PB Blaster or other similar lubricant over a period of days and pray when you take the lines off the accumulator. ;-)

dave