AUDI A4 AVANT 2.4 SE 6 CYL

I WANT TO CHANGE THE CAMBELT ON MY CAR WHICH IS COMING UP FOR ITS SECOND ONE AT 155,000 MILES. I AM AN EXPERIENCED MECHANIC/PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER SO CAN "DO THE JOB" BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TO I HAVE TO DO BEFORE I START.

WHERE CAN I FIND THE NECESSARY INFORMATION - THE HAYNES MANUAL ONLY DEALS WITH 4 CYL MODELS AND MY LOCAL AUDI DEALER IS UNDERSTANDABLY NOT VERY HELPFUL !!!

CAN I GET HOLD OF THE INFORMATION ON THE NET ANYWHERE OR BUY A CD OF THE WORKSHOP MANUAL PLEASE ???

ALAN MATTHEWS

Reply to
ALAN MATTHEWS via CarKB.com

Time Teamer

ENGINEER SO

Here's a place to start:

HAND,

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

You need a Bentley manual. Paper one is easier to use.

About 5 hours work VW/Audi recommends some special tools but they are not necessary if you mark all the pulleys.

Make sure you replace the water pump as this is weak point on the V6. The timing belt also turns the water pump.

Reply to
Mike Whiteman

I recently changed timing belt on an 2,6 V6 on 97' A6 and used the special tools purchased from blauparts. Saves a lot of hazle, although most of the work is connected to dismantling plastic parts to get to the actual belt.

Be careful when applying force to the bolts on the new waterpump as they are close to the limit at 20Nm.. BDTD..

You can even buy manuals at the site.. I use a German languaged So wird's gemacht by Delius Klasing Verlag..Found it at Amazon.de

I guess you may have to remove the radiator on your model... Which is a lot more work than on the 97' A6.. The 98' A6 though is a diferent story.. You even have to remove the front fender...

regards

ottar t

På Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:45:40 GMT, skrev Mike Whiteman :

Reply to
Ottar Tverberg

Thanks for the information - but where do I get and how do I specify the correct manual for my car.

Have tried BENTLY MANUALS etc on the net without much success - also Amazon.

Alan Matthews

Reply to
ALAN MATTHEWS via CarKB.com

sorry about the loud capitals - i even hand-write in capitals most of the time because my "joined up writing " is a bit doctor like and hard to read.

also i'm a one finger typist and have problems if i have to keep remembering about the case shift key

Reply to
ALAN MATTHEWS via CarKB.com

Thanks, this provided some good information, but I am hoping I can short- cut some of the procedures eg not removing the cam sprockets from the camshafts and getting the timing correct by dabs of paint on the old cam belt and sprockets, - then transferring the paint marks from the old belt to new before reassembly. I have done this successfully many times before on other vehicles.

Also have to renew the alternator bearings, water pump, belt tensioner,serpentine belt etc. This hardware will cost about £120 from German and Swedish, plus about 5 hours of my work as a 69 year old I think ! !!

Alan Matthews

Reply to
ALAN MATTHEWS via CarKB.com

No caps is much easier to read than all-caps, IMO.

Thanks for the change! BTW, in answer to your query - Robert Bentley.

:)

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist