audi v6

hello from wales, just bought audi a4 2.4 v6 told by dealer that this engine uses oil has used nearly a litre in 600 miles this can not be normal please give advice so that I can change it under 30 day trial

2 weeks left

thanks r. evans

Reply to
Roger Evans

According to Audi, this is still normal consumption ( 1 Ltr/1000 Km). Check if it loses oil under car.

Ronald

Reply to
reply

Like stated here consumption is probably in spec. according to Audi (and all other manufacturers). However, a litre/1000 km in my opinion always indicates that there's an internal/external leak, blown head gasket or worse... I'd _never_ buy this car unless dealer rectifies this problem.

Got an -98 A6 2.8 which I believe is the same "base-engine" except for narrower bore and/or shorter stroke. At 90' km I never have to fill oil between services (15' km).

Reply to
Rune Skigelstrand

I bought a 1998 A6 with the 2.8L engine in 2001 with 28,000 miles on it. It went through a quart/litre about every 1000 miles. This continued for about

6-12 months, after which oil consumption dropped to nearly zero. I now can go over 5000 miles, and use only about 1/2 quart/litre.

My assessment is that the first owner drove mostly in the city, with very little higher speed driving, unlike me, where most of the miles are highway miles. I believe that the rings never seated properly, allowing oil to blow by. After I put about 15-20,000 highway miles on the car, they finally seated, cutting consumption drastically.

No oil additives used, at least while I have had the car, which now has

71,000 miles.
Reply to
Jay Somerset

I'm afraid that it is very normal for the 2.4 engine and, whilst it is an additional running cost, it is not, necessarily, indicative of any damage or wear. This problem does not seem to afflict other engines in the Audi range - all three of my Audis have been able to go without any top-up between services. However, my wife's A2 TDi did need one top-up before it reached its first service at 17k miles!

If you particularly want a 2.4, then you'll probably find that they're all the same. Otherwise, if you can stretch to 2.8 or would be happy with a 1.8T, then it might be worth considering changing it.

Reply to
Peter Bell

run away. now.

Reply to
daytripper

I have a 2000 A4 2.8 V6 and it uses a litre every 2000 miles. This is normal according to the Audi Dealer. I have done 25,000 miles in it now and it is at 77,000. No change at all in consumption. Every time I go to the dealers there is someone ringing up about oil consumption so it seems to be very widespread. Yours does seem excessive but the spec says that it is ok. Is it on the AVS regime as this can have higher consumption.

Hope this helps

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

Change it for a V6 TDi like mine and enjoy typically 17,000 miles between oil changes (variable service interval) with no noticeable oil loss during that time.

David.

Reply to
David

Likewise, the oil level on my RS6 was still at the 'full' mark when it went in for its first service.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Reply to
Roger Evans

AVS = Audi Variable Service. The regime that allows up to 19,000 miles between servicing for certain cars. When on this regime the oil used is Castrol SLX Longlife 2 ( or equivalent) which is very thin and you can get excessive oil consumption. The topic of AVS has been discussed many times on the Internet. Just do a Google search. Also it may be worth searching for Audi V6 and oil consumption you will find a lot of info.

Hope this helps

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding