Freelander V6 (X reg) How many mpg can I expect?

Having bought a second hand (2000 reg X) V6 Freelander, I seem to be getting extremely poor miles per gallon. I know it all depends ........ and there are a lot of variables of course.

Has anyone else with a V6 Freelander experienced poor mileage please?

Brian Barwick

Reply to
b.barwick

according to the book 22.7mpg..

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

_everyone_ else, AIUI....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Hi Mark......

Thanks for that, believe it or not, that's exactly what I got recently on a long trip. Mix of motorway and back country roads etc.,

Thought I probably needed a service, I changed from a 3 litre sports car, to the Freelander, and was getting far better mpg in that....more power too!

Ah well, I do actually like the Freelander, it got me through pretty deep snow and ice when all other 'cars' got stuck!

Regards

Brian __________________________________

Reply to
b.barwick

I must say I'm personally surprised as I get a similar mpg from my higely inefficient 20 year old 110 with the aerodynamics of a brick.

Having said that the V6 is, by all accounts, a nice pokey engine.

And if I had to drive something car-like it'd be a tough choice between a freelander and a saab, but I'd go for the freelander purely because I like to know that no matter what nature throws at me I can almost certainly get there. I've driven over and arround fallen trees, through floods and heavy snow, over sheet-ice roads (literally ice-rink for miles and miles, I couldn't stand-up so how could I keep driving? no idea). so for that 'get there no matter what' it's the green oval every time for me (or mebbe a black oval).

crikey, I may have overdone the coffee this morning......

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Hello Mark......

Yes, I must agree there, I have in the past bought sporty type cars usually with big engines, but, as I live in the sticks on a hill, I usually get stuck in the snow for at least 3 days each year, so, thought I'd try a 4 wheel drive, and choose the Freelander.

He had a bad bout of snow here a few weeks ago, so I decided to 'risk' getting home in the snow, no problems at all, the HDC worked a treat, in fact so much so, I decided to 'play' and drove round a bit in the snow...great fun!

I owned a 3 litre Toyota (225bhp) before, excellent car, bags of power, but lethal in snow and on ice, highy dangerous, but, having said that, on a run I was getting near to 30+mpg, compared to 22 ish with the V6 Freelander.

I wondered if this was due to permanent 4 wheel drive? Anyway, the Freelander is lovely to drive, I always wanted an automatic (with leather heated seats!) now I have one.

Looking in the used car book, these seem to hold their second hand price too!

Regards

Reply to
b.barwick

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:06:28 GMT, "b.barwick" wrot

My first car was when I left the army in '96 was an '84 hard top 110, a bit of a slug, as I was doing alot of motorway milage I then went to a MK3 granada cosworth (ooo yea). then I moved to cornwall and had a few old diesel cars, finally made it back to a land rover (another '84 diesel, csw this time) and I'm hooked good and proper, hoping to trade-up to a V8 disco this summer (auto, mebbe leather). The wife drives a saab turbo and it's a fantastic car, very fast and a pleasure to drive, but in less than ideal conditions I feel much better in my land rover. All land rovers seem to hold their value well, only the ones with a bit of engine-trouble in their reputation struggle (such as P38 range rovers). Land Rovers, like my wifes saab, have a 'last forever' quality about them that's frighteningly lacking in most modern vehicles, and I like to look at vehicles as a long-term acquisition.

4wd systems do increase fuel consumption but I doubt that it's noticable, 'enthusiastic' driving is the main reason for increased fuel consumption, also auto's are higher usually.

My sister is soon buying a freelander, she's always loved going for a 'bounce around' in my land rovers and she fancies a small car-like example, probably a 1.8 petrol as she can't quite stretch to a TD4, and prefers petrol.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP