TD5 lean

Greetings all,

Am currently looking at a Y plate TD5. Money has yet to change hands, but the test drive went ok before i went on holiday. Arrived home from holiday to find dad in a panic. Said Disco had been left on our drive and it had developed a rather dramatic lean to the drivers side. Dad thought a spring had broken etc but i had'nt told him about the air springs on the back. So me question is:

What would cause it to lean and loose air?. The car was stood for approx 24 hours before leaning, but was ok when i test drove it 2 weeks ago (had been standing for a day or so). Today it pumped up within 30 secs to normal ride height, and is still at normal height after an hour or so. I seem to remember reading about leaking air springs and dodgy piping.

Thoughts on this please!.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

Most likely a leaking spring, but could be the plumbing, or even one of the height sensors has gone wrong. Leaking spring is favourite though.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

Ah right, how does one test for a leaking spring?. Was thinking of the soapy water test. Just been for a spin in it to settle things down. WIll monitor overnight.

Dom

Reply to
Dom J

Height sensors are a known weak spot. I had both sides go (independently of each other) at around to 80-90K mark. Must say it sounds like a leaky spring, though.

Reply to
Rich B

Being careful not to overdo it, jack the body up on the apprpriate corner to extend the spring - usually the leak becomes obvious, though soapy water may be necessary.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

I had a leaking spring on mine which needed replacement. Send up your suspension to off-road height and blather the spring with soapy water. The leak will blow bubbles but it may only be very fine so look carefully, and to be honest it may even be under the roll of the rubber in which case you will need to get it on a testbook to force the suspension so it goes to max height, which can't be done at home. You may be better getting your dealership or independent to change it. Its a 10 minute job for them to put the car up on, take out the old and insert the new. But its also very easy to ruin the new spring if you don't get it perfectly aligned. Once the compressor kicks in to inflate it and its out of line, it will go like a slinky spring and you'll be buying another. Good luck. Bryan.

Reply to
b.baskerville