Automatic sunroof

Oh dear my beloved 97 A4 Sedan has developed the automatic opening sunroof.........twice this week. Very strange to be motoring along and then vvvrrrrrrr followed by a rush of cold air.

I have read reports about this and thought 'na, that will never happen the mine'

Is it a switch problem or one of those 'unknown' intermittent faults that we must live with save tearing the whole car apart.

regs dj

Reply to
Lez Pawl

"Lez Pawl" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Clean contacts and bend them closer together, worked for me for 2 years now.

/Carsten

Reply to
Carsten Hjorth

thanks and can you please advise access to the contacts.

Reply to
Lez Pawl

First, remove the bumper....

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

Funny guy :-)

Here is a DIY thread on the sun roof fix from AudiWorld:

TonyJ

thanks Tony

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Fuck off prat

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Big words from a top-posting e-thug.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

Anyone who's done any engine work on B5 2.8 or 2.7TT is laughing. In a crying sort of way. :)

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

Tony

I have to ask, how and why would rain or (snow, my case) affect this spring contact which appears well protected and after all inside the vehicle.

Reply to
Lez Pawl

It might be caused by warming ambient temperatures and increasing humidity causing changes in the contacts that may also have corroded a bit over the winter when they were not used much.

Or it might just be the time that it came due.

Should be a fairly easy fix. Try spraying the contacts with an electrical cleaner / protectant like CRC or DeOxit.

Reply to
TonyJ

This is a known and common problem with these switches. After soem amount of time, they begin the "ghost operation", and a little contact bending and Stabilant 22 usually fixes them right up. The switch itself is fairly robust, but the cover panel tabs are easily broken. You can epoxy them back on, but best to be careful to start with.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero