Turning indicator problem - Citroen ZX 1.4i

Hi, This is my first post at this forum. I have a Citroen ZX 1.4i car (1995) bought in Israel. There are some minor electrical problems with the dash board lights.

  1. Recently I noticed that when I switch on the head lamps, the right indicator automatically switches on and doesn't blink. Some times when i pass over a speed breaker etc, it starts flickering erratically. When i switch on the emergency flickering lamps, the right indicator blinks but along with it, the head lamps also blink. When i push the stick to right turn indicator point, the indicator doesn't blink but remains continuously lighted as before. My left indicator is working just fine. This problems manifests in the night. When i change to High beam the right indicator doesn't light up. But on high beam, when I switch the stick to the right indicator position, the low beam and the right indicator both start flickering. In the day, when the head lamps aren't switched on, everything appears normal. When i push the stick to the right turn indication, the right indicator functions but then the head lamps also flicker along with it. Due to my inability to converse in Hebrew with the mechanics/electrictians here, I am unable to understand much. But I was informed that the switch has a problem and needs to be replaced. Is there another way to repair it . I was wondering if there is just a small problem of cleaning the switch etc. Any help in diagnosing and rectifying this problem is accepted with gratitude. i am student and hence I wish to do it myself. Thanks Arul
Reply to
altruist

altruist ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sounds like an earth problem, probably the RH rear light cluster. It might be as simple as a blown bulb, though.

Reply to
Adrian

Hi Adrian, Thanks for the reply, but all my bulbs are fine. I mean the indicator bulb and the head lamps are all fine. Pardon my ignorance, what is "RH"? Thanks Arul

Reply to
altruist

altruist ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And no corrosion on any of the bases?

It's an earth problem, then, between one of the RH light clusters and the car body. What's happening is that there's no return to earth direct to the body, so the electricity is finding the next best path to earth - which is, unfortunately for you, through another bulb.

Right Hand.

Reply to
Adrian