Instrument panel BRAKE light on

98 Explorer SOHC 4x4 EB.

My instrument panel BRAKE warning light is staying on after starting (was intermittent, but no more). I also noticed that my daytime running lamps (CAN model) are no longer are on and don't think it's a coincidence.

Checked brake fluid - all OK there. Parking brake perhaps?

Did some research, and I see the parking brake switch goes to the DRL module which then goes to the dash indicator so I'm wondering if having the brake on disables the DRL's (I had an old car that did that). If so, I figure it must be the parking brake switch as the park brake is not engaged.

Anyone have any experience with it? I assume the sensor/switch is near the parking brake pedal.

Thanks.

-- Al Williams

Reply to
Al Williams

That may be true (I don't know for a fact, however... IIRC the idea was to limit the DRL when 'parked' to prevent confusion with moving cars...

Reply to
PeterD

Hey man.. I have a 93 epxloder xlt.. my brake light started coming on more and more frequently, like at a hard stop or when braking to a stop down hill (more pressure applied). It could be a couple things, as the first gy said, check brake fluid, but first check your front brake pads.. if they are really getting down in the wear and tear departmentr, it will cause your master cylinder resevoir to "read" less fluid in it, since the brakes will not be un applying to the full "brakes off " position, (since they dont need to cause the pads are so orn. If this is the case, just change out your front pads for newbies, then check you master cylinder again. With the new fatter pads on there, they will be pushing more fluid back into the master resevoir, and your brake light should stay off. D

Reply to
Dazza C

Found the issue so post here as an FYI. It was the emergency brake. The return spring on the brake pedal when disengaged had gotten weak over the years and was not consistently depressing the position switch causing the Brake indicator and the DRL's to not work.

Reply to
Al Williams