buying a used A4 - how to find a good market price

I am impressed with the A4 2.0 T...drove a 2005.5 and fell in love. It was being sold buy an independent in the northeast (U.S.). A dealer tried to steer me away from independents saying certified used is the only way to go because they know the car. The independent said the car had warrenty left and that he could extend for a grand.

I've only bought from dealers in the past, and new. What do the second market dealers look for in profit? How can I know something about what they might have paid for the car at auction?

Appreciate any advice from the community!

Thanks.

Link

Reply to
Link

kbb.com.....used car value, and look for trade-in value ($22K USD) along with suggested retail prices ($28K USD).

2005 A4Q 2.0t with about 18,000 miles! BTW I entered Quattro! ;-)

I think ALL dealers look for the maximum in profit! From the sale of the vehicle AND the sale of any type of warranty that they can sell you!

I think only the mechanic and the owner really KNOW the vehicle. Sometimes "Certified" only means you pay a little more for the exact same thing. Maybe it is really "checked out" but possibly not.

In your case since you are buying one just a few years old, then I would recommend buying from an Audi dealer that serviced it or directly from the owner. Part of my reasoning is to be able to prove it got servicing and oil changes on time. ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Most of the Certified Pre-Owned cars from Audi have a 100k warranty, double the original warranty on the car. And they do the repairs, versus someone else. If the independent dealer is offering you a third- party warranty, you need to compare what they cover it versus the CPO warranty from Audi, which I understand is pretty good. Also, some third-party warranties require you to pay the repair cost up-front, then put in for reimbursement from them, which could lead to all sorts of hassles.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58