Considering buying a used Saab 900 S

Hello!

I am seriously considering purchasing a used Saab 900 S. Long story (relatively) short, I just paid a fortune on a new vehicle for my wife... and now would like to get myself something as well. I'm drawn to this particular car because of its combination of looks, safety record, performance and, most importantly, its appeal to my personal tastes.

I have about $10K to spend - give or taker a few thousand - which means I'd be looking at something in the 1999/1998 age range.

I'd truly appreciate any insight you can offer on how to best ensure I purchase a worthy vehicle that is not going to be a repair shop, bank-breaking nightmare of frustration. Of course, I realize that any vehicle from any manufacturer runs the high risk of major maintenance. But I'm hoping perhaps this group can tell me about major things to consider, ask questions about, avoid, etc.

For example, looking for guidance on any "typical major repairs" at certain age/mileage points on this vehicle's life. Like, do these tend to have gasket problems at 70K, etc. Which repairs are the very worst and most likely? Stuff like that. That way, when shopping, I can find out if these sorts of things have already happened and have been fixed (preferable) ... or if there's still a chance that they might be due.

And any other tips that you wished someone told you when you sought to purchase one of these.

Thanks much!

Reply to
meandaver

OG9-3 '99?

Reply to
HeikkiM

My best bud bought a used 900s (I think it is a 91) for under a grand right before the new year.

The only thing really wrong with it was the torn outer CV boots, which led to replacing the driveshafts in his driveway.

Other than a sometimes smell of gas from a possible fumes return line or something the thing has been humming along just fine.

10$US for a used SAAB should get you a _fine_ example. In fact I'm thinking you could spend half that on one with a good interior/chassis and spend another thousand or two just getting every little thing taken care of by a professional.

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

Thanks all for the replies. I have found a local respected independent Saab mechanic, and was talking this specific vehicle over with him. In doing so, I discovered that he is actually currently rebuilding the tranny for a otherwise great 1990 900 SPG. This might be more my liking, performance wise, and the lower price tag would allow me to stash away cash for eventual repairs. Am I crazy for suggesting something like this be my daily driver?

TBerk wrote:

Reply to
meandaver

Not at all. A lot of us drive even older 900s daily.

Myself (all daily drivers):

1) 1984 900 S hatchback

- owned from 2000 - 2003

- 103K - 160K miles

- never left me stranded.

3) 2984 900 S sedan

- owned from 2003 - 2004

- 204K miles - 224K

- never left me stranded, but needed a lot of work.

3) 1985 900 Turbo hatchback

- current

- 247K miles now

- runs like a top!

A few pix of the cars:

Sounds like you've already found a reliable, trustworthy mechanic. Keep tabs on this newsgroup for when you have problems. Between the two, you'll get years of service -- and a lot of fun driving -- from the vehicle.

Good luck!

-jw

Reply to
jw

No... but my opinion is that older cars, even if reliable, are for people who like to work on their own cars and don't mind spending time hunting for parts and advice as needed.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yes, you are. By no means should you buy that vehicle. What's his phone number, please?

Dave "Ready to fly out to drive it home, I am..." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Thanks everyone! I actually think I'd enjoy learning how to do some of the maintenance myself... not too fluent in this sort of thing right now, but I do know my way around other quirky mechanical things (in my case, vintage guitar amplifiers) and am a quick study.

I don't want to break any newsgroup ettiquette, so I apologize in advance, but wondering what would be a fair price for something like I'm considering... 1990 c900 SPG... 118K miles, but having a transmission rebuilt and the entire vehicle gone over by qualified indy mechanic... Bluebook/Edmunds is fairly low for this model... like under $3,000 or so (I believe). But considering its "mechanical makeover," should I expect to pay some more for something like this? I want to be fair, but don't want to completely overpay either.

Reply to
meandaver

No worries. If there's a model we know extremely well here, the c900 is it. You'll have questions but there is little to nothing that a person can't do themselves on those cars.

The miles are low for this type, 300K isn't remarkable. Tranny, you've got the newer version and it'll be fresh. If the previous owner trashed the tranny, he probably worked at it, but that's really the only point in the car that cares about the thrashing.

I'd see what he wants to charge for it & go from there. Not up on prices but you'd be getting a low miles car with a fresh tranny, that's fun to drive and looks good. 3 or 4 grand doesn't seem like too much for that. HOw about this - check out the completed auctions on eBay to get an idea for where these are selling at, and add a premium for the gearbox rebuild.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Can't break netiquette here! You can even piss off Dave and he'll act like he kill files you, but he really still reads your stuff.

Reply to
Bob

Update

I checked out the car (1990 SPG) yesterday. It's not drivable, but I got to talk to the mechanic and learn more about the car's history. Cosmetically, it's in great shape... exterior paint is in "near-new" condition... has one dent (about the size of a quarter) on the upper-right corner of the tail... but otherwise, no rust or any indication it's been in any accident (original owner says it hasn't). Interior "mocha leather" is very nice for the most part... just a bad headliner (which mechanic says he'll have re-upholstered) and a few tiny cracks on the dash. The car was driven first as a daily driver, than later as a weekend warrior. The previous owner supposedly went in a local tire place for new tires (which it now has) and the tire place cracked the oil pan (?). So, he was about to scrap it for a tax writeoff... but the mechanic is going to buy it, fix it up and sell it.

If I go with this one, my main immediate upgrade would be a nice stereo system that would be compatible with my iPod. I'm thinking about installing lower than where the current stock one is, and then adding some custom gauges.

Reply to
meandaver