Buying used Corolla on eBay?

I have decided on getting a Corolla 5-spd, and an 03 model would be within my budget (not more than $10K). On eBay, there are only about maybe 15 5-spd Corollas for every 100 automatics, BTW! I have bought dozens of items from eBay, but never a car. THe selection of used Toyotas is so small in my city, that months could go by before my exact selected car comes up! So I am looking at Corollas available in the Dallas area, as there are dozens of them there. On ebay, I found an 03 Corolla 5-spd. 71K miles) at a dealership in Arlington, Tx for $8K....buy it now price, or you can make an offer. I am 350 miles away...so I can't personally go there and inspect the car myself. I would, however, hop on a plane and fly there to pick up a car I have bought. But even if it was a local car, I would still prefer to hire a professional independent inspection co. to check it out and test-drive it, as well as myself, before bidding/buying. So, the problem with eBay cars is, it must be inspected before I can know whether or not I want to buy that particular car....but I could very likely be throwing away the $105 inspection fee which Carchex charges, as anyone at any time could click the BUY IT NOW option. THis seller says (and probably all?) that no inspection can be done after close of auction/end of sale. Well, I could submit bids on, and pay inspection fees on, a dozen cars before being the successful bidder! So I could rack up hundreds or thousands of dollars in inspection fees. So it does not seem possible for me to bid on any auction car unless it is local and I can go inspect it myself prior ro bidding on it. But I think a lot of out-of-town people DO bid on cars....so how do they do it? THere is no such thing as "BUY IT NOW, contingent upon no significant problems being found on inspection"....seems like the system is "pot-luck" for the buyer. Advice?

Reply to
geronimo

I would NEVER buy a used car unless I could take it to MY choice of mechanic for inspection. This would be non-negotiable. End of story.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I wouldn't ever buy a used car on eBay. I would have to see it physically, run a Carfax report and take it to an impartial mechanic. The place I bought my Toyota from does a lot of business in eBay. He even picks up & drops people at the airport. I only bought the Toyota after the mechanic said it was ok (I paid around $20 in a local shop). I had looked at a Mitshubishi Lancer before from the same place and it had a nasty bang to the oil pan. You couldn't have seen it unless you get under the car... My car had the spare tire missing. He took one from another Corolla in the lot. In other words, there are just too many things that can go wrong. You might be better off with Craiglist.

Reply to
PCman

I drive them for a few hours and then decide...

Reply to
Hachiroku