Buying a used car from auction.

Hi,

I have 2k to spend and I have decided to go to the car auctions to get meself a secondhand new car :), cant afford dealer prices.

I know some makes of car have a terrible history, continuously going wrong from new almost so what cars should I avoid.

Any tips on buying a used car from auction, what are the best cars to go for, how to spot a duff motor, any advice on the subject desperately needed.

Thanks.

Reply to
Smudge

I think that the fact that you've had to ask about assessing cars probably points to the answer: don't!

It's also a bit unreasonable to expect a rundown on every model on the market when you haven't even shared any of your criteria with us apart from price.

FWIW, unless you are a born gambler or really know what to look for, I reckon 2k is private sale territory, not auction. If you're buying a nearly new car, you not only get a sort of warranty, albeit only "major mechanical faults" that you find immediately you get the keys, but you also save enough that even if it needs a new gearbox or, more likely these days, a new fancy bit of electronic wizardry, within a few days, then at worst you'll only have paid forecourt price in total. Discover, as I once did on an auction cheapy, that's it's got no reverse gear, and your "saving" might not look so good. (I was OK - I stripped the box myself and the whole job cost under a tenner).

If you still want to chance your arm at an auction, stick to genuine "direct from (named) main dealer sales. The cars might not have as much tyre-wall black and dash spray on them, but at least they're not ones that have been the rounds of back street dealers like so many of the "general sale" ones have.

YMMV - and the car's certainly will at that end of the market. I've bought some crackers by disregarding this advice, and anyone who's bought a number will have done the same.

Final piece of auction advice: if you go to Measham, don't take a chance on yellow lines round the industrial estate because the auction car park is full: they bus in traffic wardens on auction days for rich pickings.

Reply to
Autolycus

I have bought from private sale auction and have only bought one car which was my first and last from private sale days. The car's are nearly always sold 'As seen' which means that you do not have any come back. If you do not know much about cars stay away as the only reason they are at auction is because the owner has a problem selling it. If you can work on cars you may pickup a bargain but I found they are usually MOT failures or have engine /gearbox problems. You may have to spend a few hundred getting it put right. Once the hammer's down it's yours and it's final The one I bought had faulty power steering which was hard to see at auction and costly as it was a 3500 Rover.

I have since bought 8-10 cars from auction but always from the Company car sales days as they are usually well maintained and serviced and although are again sold as seen it is the companys way of clearing the liability side of things. I have always been able to buy well under forecourt prices and have passed cars on after 6months for more than I paid. But if I had £2000 to spend I would look through my local papers, take my time and test drive until you find the car you like. Don't let expired MOT's put you off as you can make it a condition of sale. Go with the owner to get it MOT'd, if it pass's your on a winner if it fails at least you will know what needs spending on it. Then barter. Remember you have the money and they want to sell. If you walk they need another buyer, but you can always find another car.

Reply to
Merlin

Or can't be bothered with the hassle of advertising and tyre kickers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Whoops, I should have said I was thinking of Ford Escort or Mondeo and any VW German made cars, preferably below 2L for insurance and fuel consumption, something that is easy to maintain.

: : FWIW, unless you are a born gambler or really know what to look for, I : reckon 2k is private sale territory, not auction.

I have been looking in the papers for nearly 2 weeks, it seems anything worth buying doesnt last 5 minutes, as soon as I phone up, gone.

: If you still want to chance your arm at an auction, stick to genuine : "direct from (named) main dealer sales.

Good one to remember :)

: : Final piece of auction advice: if you go to Measham, don't take a chance : on yellow : lines round the industrial estate because the auction car park is full: : they bus in traffic wardens on auction days for rich pickings. :

Milton Keynes on Wed and if I am lucky there will be no need to go to Northampton NCA Thur.

Reply to
Smudge

Go for it.

It's the only place I buy cars as I don't like getting ripped off by car dealers.

Take a good look round the car. Check panel fits and paint condition for any signs of crash damage.

Have a good look round underneath and around the wheels.

As the car sits waiting to be auctioned lift the bonnet and check oil and water.

At 2k you'll should find a really nice car.

Don't sit like a fool in front of the auctioneer. Stand in front of the cars as they are started and driven round to go under the hammer.

Reply to
David Cawkwell

And usually the ones that are most likely to have been put in the auction for a serious mechanical failure. Alot of Mondeos in the auctions have blown headgaskets or cracked heads IME. No car built after 1995 is easy to maintain.

Phone earlier.

Reply to
Conor

Fresh oil is a sign of a car 'prepared' for auction - avoid. Who in there right mind spends money on a service just before unloading a car at auction? Look for signs of regular servicing, but not shiny oil filters, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Nice one :) I have seen that done by the serious punters, I often wondered what they were looking for, I used to think what possible use is there in taking a quick glance under the bonnet.

I used to look at the exhaust, fairly useless if its just had the oil changed.

Reply to
Smudge

Nope, you've got me puzzled on that one. What's different about an exhaust before and after an oil change? Apart from vast quantities of the stuff burning off the front pipe where you tipped the filter up too soon, or couldn't pour straight out of the tin?

Reply to
Autolycus