Can someone give me a estimate/ 89' audi repairs

Hello, I just brought my 89' audi to the mechanic today. I was wondering if someone could give me an estimate of how much everything is going to cost.

----------------------------------------------------------------- I need/things I told them to fix....

1)A new gas tank, the current one leaks

2)Power stering fluid leaks/ I believe its just the hose that runs from the power stering pump to the sterning column.

3)The signals don't work anymore

4)Oil change/new oil filter

5)NYS inspection

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Im not to sure how much they charge for labor, lets just say it is $50.00 per hour. NOTE: I am just looking for an estimate.

Thanks for any help, Jimmie

Reply to
jimi_xyz

Buying a new tank will be very costly. Just guessing, but I would expect $500 for parts and $500 or more for labor. Removing the tank (I am assuming this is a quattro) is a big job requiring dropping the rear suspension.

BTW, It is much more likely that the leak is due to fuel pressure accumulator or rusted fuel lines.

You don't want to think about paying the dealer cost on this hose. A commonly used replacement is a part from NAPA that costs about $40 - $60. Install is not too bad but getting the banjo bolt back into the steering rack can be quite challenging for a first timer.

My guess - bad Multi Function switch (big part just behind the steering wheel with all the lever controls). Again, dealer cost is around $500. A used part from on-line sources is usually just under $200. You could probably source the same part from a u-pull-it auto recycler for $20 and 15 minutes of your time. Rather easy to R&R. It is very unlikely that you can fix the old part. Incidently, you should check your fuses and turn signal relay/controller (located in relay panel under dash by drivers left knee).

Use a good synthetic like 5W30 Mobile 1. Be sure to use a Mahle or other brand of oil filter because cheap filter can not handle the oil volume and break down, clogging the oil journals which kills the engine. This is one part that I would recommend you get from your local dealer for about $10.

You need to find a reputable local Audi independent mechanic. The average auto mechanic, not familiar with Audis, fails and will cost you a lot of $$$ and headaches.

Go here and ask about local sources. The forum is for all T44s in adition to the V8s.

There are a bunch of very knowledgeable and helpful people on the forum.

The T44 is a great car but takes some TLC. A DIY person with a shop manual will have a great car if the are willing to put in some effort.

Reply to
Tony

Well its a 89' audi 100

Reply to
jimi_xyz

Which is a Type 44. You got good advice for your car.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; drove that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Thanks guys; one problem they can't seem to find a gas tank for the car.

Reply to
jimi_xyz

Have they tried to find used ones? There were a lot of those cars around and, honestly, I've never heard of a fuel tank leak on one ... so I'd expect yours to be an anomaly.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; drove that; mine never leaked)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Not sure if jimi is in the US, but:

or ask on
in the wanted section of the classifieds. I've heard of rust failure on type 44 tanks - concentrating on the seam. Replacement involves the removal of the rear subframe/diff/etc. and is not fun. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - spare, NOS tank in storage (mine won't fail now that I have a spare, right?) 1980 Audi 5k - spare used tank stored under 5ktq tank 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - lotsa spares - tanks treated with POR15 (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Reply to
Steve Sears