Catastrophic Engine Failure

While driving down the freeway in my 2001 Audi A4 1.8T yesterday, I started to hear a LOUD clanking from the top of the engine, followed immediately by every warning light, and then complete shut down of engine. No restart possible. I had just refueled 50 miles before and checked all the fluids since I was taking a little trip. Everything checked out and I had no warning. Anyone have this problem, know what it is? Thanks.

Reply to
Laudatio

"Laudatio" wrote

Timing belt/tensioner failure? If so, get ready for some expensive repairs.

How many miles on the engine?

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Did you look in your mirror? You might have lost your engine.

Bert

Reply to
Bert

Lol Bert that cheered me up :)

I recks its timing belt failure and subseqent valve bendage :(

Reply to
ronny

Sounds like failure of the drive to the camshafts - timing belt, in the case of the Audi engines. I've not experience this in an Audi, but the timing gear shattered on the Ford V6 3.0l in my old Reliant Scimitar, and the death rattle is not something I will ever forget - nor the ease with which the starter motor could then spin the engine over!

Reply to
Peter Bell

How many miles on the engine, Laudatio? I agree with the other posters; sounds like the timing belt broke.

Ken

Reply to
KWS