help on 2001 A4 1.8T check engine light

guys, I have my 2001 A4 (1.8T Q auto) check engine light on yesterday.

code from autozone is:

P0322 Ign./Distributor Eng.Speed Inp.Circ No Signal

I also observed that EPC comes on several times (check engine light always on), and when EPC is on, idle rpm raise to 1100, normal is 750, and car has noticable reduced power. and mpg super low.

When EPC is off (only check engine light on), car runs almost close to normal and maybe a tiny little bit power loss.

Anyone can help me on this, which sensor or part should be fixed?

thanks a lot

Scott

Reply to
xuegewang

When the EPC light is on the engine the ECU is operating in default mode and ignoring engine management input signals, probably because one or more of them are out of range.

Just guessing but it may be due to the cam position sensor on the front of the head. That sensor provides information to help the ECU determine when to fire the spark plugs.

Reply to
Tony

Very close. The B5 Bentley CD says ECM code P0322 fingers the "Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor", a magnetic pickup from the flywheel. It's one of the more specific codes, actually, with a very short debug sequence (sensor -> sensor wiring -> ECM).

The engine speed sensor on the 1.8T is located behind the oil filter housing on the engine cylinder block, and connects via a three pin gray connector from the wiring harness. Replace the sensor, clear codes, then generate a new Readiness code...

Cheers

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Thanks a lot for both u guys

what is the offical name of the engine speed sensor? I couldnt find the part online, but I can find Cam Position Sensor.

Scott

Reply to
xuegewang

The service manual calls it the "Engine Speed Sensor" or "Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor" in every reference I can find for that particular engine. Unfortunately, part numbers aren't typically included in the Audi/Bentley factory service manuals.

Cheers

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Thanks a lot, I leave in a small town, no shop has audi expert, except the dealers (they might no be expert either)

I am thinking of selling it 1000 dollars below kbb trade in price, cuz i have another car to drive, my questions are: if the EPC is off (only check engine on), there is no power loss and car runs like normal, can I still drive this car for a while? locally!, and is there any damage if i do so?

thanks again for the replies.

Scott.

Reply to
xuegewang

I'd expect your current set of symptoms would continue indefinitely until the problem is corrected. If the ECU doesn't know the engine speed it can't properly vector into the fuel map, so it could be running rich or lean at any given speed. The former isn't good for cylinder bore wear, and the latter isn't good for valve seats - and you don't get to pick only one ;-)

How about giving an actual Audi main line service department a call and seeing if they can put you on to the cost of the sensor. It might be cheap enough to just fix the thing...

Cheers

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper