Help with Buying an 2001 A4

I am looking at a 2001 A4 2.8 Quattro, 4 speed with 75K Miles. Would love to hear from you folks about what you think about this model and year, and what I should be watch out for. Thanks in advance. Larry

Reply to
Larry Combs

I purchased a 2001 A4 2.8L Quattro new in 2001 and it currently has

69,000 miles.

The timing belt is supposed to be replaced at 105,000 miles (according to dealer and manual), however, most say to replace it around 75,000 miles ... so you might want to figure that into the price. Also have the water pump and seals replaced. That should run about $900 or so.

I would also consider having a drain/fill on your automatic transmission. The fluid is "lifetime", but when you press the dealer, the two I have talked to suggest replacing it around 80,000 miles. I believe the cost of this is about $300, but it requires special equipment and the independent I take my car referred me to the dealer to have that part done.

The other two issues I have heard about (but haven't experienced with mine) are control arms and valve cover leaks.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Curtis Newton