How to repair nicked paint and clearcoat ??

I had my new '03 A4-QM less than one month before a stinkin rock shot up off the highway and nicked my paint (light silver). :-( The nick isn't all the way down to the metal, but it got down to the primer in one spot, and scratched a few others. You can certainly feel it if you rub your finger over the nicked areas. No area is much more than 1/8" long, but there are several.

The paint is clearcoated. So my question is: how do you repair something like this? (I've done it many times on non-clearcoated paint, but never on a true clearcoat.) I'm wondering if carefully using a very small amount of rubbing compound (or polishing compound) would help smooth things over. I'm a little scared to rub it because: (1) the paint is still relatively new, and (2) I don't know what the effect on the clearcoat would be. Do I paint it first and then sand it lightly with 600 or 1000 grit? Or do I sand it first, then paint it? Should I wait till everything is smoothed and painted before applying the clearcoat? (The touch-up paint kit from the dealer also came with a canister of clearcoat touch-up). Any advice?

TIA, Bob

Reply to
Bob Navarro

Take it to someone who knows how to fix it correctly. You really don't want to make a mess of it on a brand new car...

Reply to
daytripper

I've found this article very useful. There are some other interesting articles too..

Worth a look.

Paul

This is easier to say than do: to keep these sort of nicks at a minimum, don't follow too closely. Also, keep clear of nasty looking trucks that have loose crap about them. Gravel is a good example. If crap is falling off and bouncing down the road, try to avoid it (without running into someone...it might be me).

Best,

Ken '00 A4 1.8TQ

Reply to
Ken Stoorza

Bah, you got off easy. I got *tagged* bt a chunk of tire in upstate New York a few months ago, it left a dent as large as my fist in the leading edge of the hood.

Complaining aside, the article that Paul pointed to describes the way I've always done it. My father used the same method on his cars, including a couple that won (admittedly minor) shows. Once the repair is complete, it's invisible unless you know exactly where to look for it.

Reply to
Pronto Breakneck