I might buy a 1991 100 sedan; problem areas to look for?

Hi there, I am new to the world of Audi's and was looking for some information on the

1991 100 sedan, as I have the option to buy one relatively cheaply. Does anyone know of an FAQ that is available for this model and year? Or, can anyone who has experience with this model fill me in on some of the problem areas to expect? Thanks in advance. MR
Reply to
Vineyard Gray

Go to Google and do a search of this group for '89-'91 100 and 200 models. They all share most of the same quirks, but I get tired of rewriting it all. While there's a lot to say, it doesn't mean we wouldn't recommend the car (I generally do.) because most of it is petty annoyances that are simple to fix. You just need to read it.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; drove that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

I have owned four type 44s (84, 84, 87 and 91). Current car is the '91

100 quattro, 5 speed with 113M miles. I have driven all of them to near or more than 200M and have experienced no more than normal maintenance issues.

Common issues:

- wiring at driver's door jam and trunk hinge may need to be checked.

- wheel bearings and axles at about 120M

- may want to listen for loud fuel pump but easy to fix Automatics should have their oil changes because they tend to exchange fluid between them and the differential. Once done they are good.

- drive lines are solid in quattro and FWD

- Earlier versions had some hydraulic system leaking issues but the '91s seem so have worked that all out.

- heater blower motor becomes intermittent when brushes are going bad.

Really quite solid and dependable cars. The 100 you are looking at is a N/A 130 hp so not going to impress anyone at the stop lights but will give you mid 20 mpg on highway and 20 ish around town.

If you take normal care of it - it will treat you well and look good at the same time.

T> Hi there,

Reply to
TonyJ

I have a 100 fwd, the only problems I have had are: heater blower motor, high beam switch, o2 sensor, struts, audi bose amps (I rebuilt them my self for 12.00 each) drivers side vanity mirror cover, and the worst problem of them all!!! I can get a cd caddy for the disc changer///

I hope this helps

{paul