jump-start A6

Hello,

I need to jump-start an Audi A6 wagon. But I couldn't find the battery.

From reading other groups it sounds like it's under the back seat. Can

I get to the positive the negative terminals from there? Does anyone have a picture of where the battery is?

Reply to
ktdiedrich

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

There's a jump-start post under the bonnet near the scuttle. That's the

+ve, for the -ve use the engine. It's all in the handbook.
Reply to
Guy King

For further info, the battery in my A6 is under a plastic panel near the air intake in front of the windshield. It looks difficult to access but it isn't really.

Reply to
wtrplnet

Of course, the correct method of jump starting is to first consult the Owner's manual - an excellent source of both trivial and super-important information about the car. Trivial info - like where the battery is located - Important information - like don't connect both jumper cables to the battery directly (risk of an explosion). Your local dealer will have a manual. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

The message from "wtrplnet" contains these words:

So's mine but I assumed he'd looked there!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Steve Sears" contains these words:

No more than any other way of doing it, really.

Reply to
Guy King

The battery really is under the back seat in case anyone else can't find theirs. The manual says it's under the plenum cover by the windshield but it isn't on my car. So they must have built '98 A6 both ways. An Audi dealer told me there is a positive terminal in the engine compartment that you can jump but I haven't found it yet.

Reply to
ktdiedrich

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

I think you'll find that diesels have the battery in the engine bay, petrol models have it under the back seat.

Reply to
Guy King

Skip, Actually, hooking jumper cables up to the good battery, and then to the terminals on the dead battery will result in sparking witch may detonate the hydrogen gas in the dead battery (BOOM! + flying acid = new face transplant recipient). I always hook the positive terminal up, and then complete the circuit by connecting to a ground some distance away from the battery. From

How do I jump-start a car with a dead battery?

Remember: All batteries contain acid and can cause injury if not regarded as dangerous.

1- Wear proper eye and skin protection. 2- Connect the positive cable to the positive terminal of the discharged battery. 3- Connect the other end of the same cable to the positive post on the boosting vehicle's battery. 4- Connect the negative (black) cable to the negative post of the booster battery. 5- Make final jumper cable connection to the engine block of the stalled vehicle. 6- Start disabled vehicle and disconnect cables in reverse order, taking precautions to keep all hands, clothing, hair and cables out of all moving parts.