Multiple Electrical Woes After water ingress. A6 Avant 1.8T

Lots of rain recently. Came out to my car, sat in and put my feet in about

2 inches of water. Opened bonnet and the battery chamber was almost full to overflowing. Managed to push out a grommet in the vicinity of the battery to drain it & eventually got water out from front & rear driver side footwells (UK Right hand drive car,,,) More or less dried everything out, but seems to have left me with a few electrical gremlins

  1. Electric windows do not work.

  1. Alarm does not arm, or at least the direction indicators do not flash on locking the car
  2. All interior lights no longer work. Courtesy and reading lamps

All the fuses in the panel at the driver door side of the dash are intact. Are there any boxes of electronics on the floor, or low down near the floor behind any side trims that are associated with any of the functions affected ? Is the central locking control unit perhaps common to the problems? Where is it located ? The wiring diagrams show the supply to all the interior lights coming from it. Door switches are associated with both alarm and courtesy lamps I guess.

Any sugestions folks ? Ian

Reply to
Ian Gaskell

I am not familiar with the A6 specifically but the A4s have several electronic controllers under the floor mats and susceptible to corrosion when the floors are flooded due to a clogged battery drain directing water to the interior floor.

Best to pull the carpets and dry any electrical comp> Lots of rain recently. Came out to my car, sat in and put my feet in about

Reply to
Tony

The real question in my view is HOW DID THIS WATER ENTER THE CAR?

I leave my '98.5 A4 outside all the time in all sorts of weather and have never had water enter the vehicle that I personally did not bring in myself, viz. snow on my boots and the like.

Reply to
KLS

This has been discussed often on AudiWorld.

The cause is the clogged battery compartment dra> >

Reply to
Tony

Sounds like a really stupid design fault to me. I certainly hope Audi covers damage from this after warranty.. =20 It seems to me that they either need multiple drains, some arrangement to prevent clogs, such as a large area screen, or a cover so water can't get in at all.

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner