Oil in the Intake Manifold

I am in the process of rebuilding the head of my '88 80 quattro (240k, oil consumption about 1 quart per 500 miles -- compression good, almost 190 on each of the cylinders, so I am suspicious of the valve guides and seals).

As I have been tearing off the extraneous bits, I noticed what seemed like a lot of oil coming from the crankcase breather tube that connects into the rubber boot leading to the throttle body. Inside of the IM has had a lot of oil run through it. I have the newer metal piece on place of the original rubber crankcase hose at the block. And, I am wondering if there is a way to prevent this from recurring?

Also, what is the preferred way to remove the downpipe from the EM?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

-- Tom Werner

Reply to
NPNoonan

Oil on the IM is usually due to a leaky valve cover gasket. Causes vacuum leaks too.

The crank case breather needs to be fixed to maintain vacuum along with all the other vacuum bits to allow it to run well.

Valve guides sound like a good solution to your oil problem.

T> I am in the process of rebuilding the head of my '88 80 quattro (240k, oil

Reply to
TonyJ

Sorry, Must have been a typo on my part. I have oil flowing INTO the Intake Manifold, most likely source being the Crankcase Breather Hose. I'd like to minimize or, preferably, stop this.

Thanks,

Tom.

What is the procedure for fixing the Crankcase Breather?

Reply to
NPNoonan

Tom, Apparently 80's Chev(?) V8's had an oil catch device mounted on their crankcase ventilation system. There was a discussion in Audifans about plumbing one of these in to the Audi system to address the oil in the intake issue. Check the archives at that site (or talk to your friendly local V8 guy). Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k
Reply to
Steve Sears