95 Jetta III with oil in the intake hose

Well, the subject says it all. I pulled off the hose to get to the air filter and noticed there was quite a lot of oil in the hose leading to the engine. Any one see this before?

Reply to
gd

Yes I have seen some oil there, but what do you consider "quite a lot"?

dave

hmmm That is not what I usually see, but I have seen it a couple of times with different engines. Is this a low mileage engine that only travels short distances? Maybe a good oil change, good fuel and a good long 3-4 hour trip on the highway may help clean up any sticking oil rings on the pistons. Maybe your PVC system is malfunctioning and not allowing some of the oil to return to the block. Maybe the oil level is too full. Which oil are you using? 20W-50 in the hot months? I seem to prefer Castrol.

dave

Pretty typical of VW engines and not necessarily due to a worn out engine. From what I understand, the PCV valve (or whatever they call it) in the 1993-1998 ABA engine conks out fairly easily and shoots a lot more oil into the intake than normal. This happened to my car, a 95 Golf. The little flapper valve inside had broken off. The PCV valve is that mushroom-looking device attached to the valve cover that connects to the short hose associated with the intake duct. If it was something you were buying at Wal Mart to fit on your gas grill the valve would be $5. Unfortunately, VW wants about $50 for it.

After you replace that and clean out the duct, it might be worth removing the MAF sensor housing and then squirting the MAF sensor and housing with a zero residue electronics cleaner to wash the oil residue off of it.

I got the cleaner from AutoZone...it was called CRC Electronics Cleaner...for about $6. It was on the shelf with all the throttle body cleaners, etc. Squirt from about a foot away and use plenty. The MAF sensor is extremely delicate and can be ruined by even touching it. And whatever you do, don't drop it (about $300 to replace).

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
Reply to
William Maslin

I've seen it it b4. I forget how much i had, but i was tearing the motor apart to replace the valve stem seals (put too much oil in it whoops)

Reply to
blah

All true. It's not so much a PCV as an air/oil separator. The new one you'd get is a redesign. Can't really tell if it actually works better or not. The vent/drain tube that goes from the separator to the block can clog with nasty spooge from moisture if you don't get the engine REALLY hot enough to drive it all off. Will eventually corrode the metal insides enough that it will need replaced.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Hey Mark,

I was looking at thepartsbin.com where I bought my PCV valve and it's no longer available ("call for info"). However, they now also list a "PCV valve diaphram" for about $38:

Is that the redesign you are referring to?

Reply to
William Maslin

In article ,

Nope. That lives behind the intake manifold. I'm talking about the "breather filter". What I called the oil/air separator.

Even when the PCV was working, you'd get oil in the intake hose through this thing. The redesign supposedly tried to address that. I can't tell that it did.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

OK, that's the "muffler" for the EGR vale, I think. It has foam in it.

Yeah, OK, that's the "mushroom." That's what I bought (I think).

Reply to
William Maslin