original warranty - does it transfer to new owner

I'm thinking of buying a 2003 audi from a friend who is the original owner. It's still under warranty (I think it's a 4yr/48000 mile and 144 mo. for rust). Will this warranty still apply to me as the new owner?

Thanks

--Art

Reply to
Art M

In the UK at least, the warranty is on the car, not on the owner. When you think about it, it doesn't make sense any other way.

Make sure you inform Audi that the car has been transferred to ensure they have up to date details for warranty/recall etc.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Thanks. Anyone know if it's otherwise in the U.S.?

Also what repair manuals are available for the 2003 A4? I don't mind Haynes, but they don't seem to make one for it.

Reply to
Art M

A warranty is part of a contract. The contract is with the original buyer only.

In the USA the manufacturer must provide free emissions control system repair for 100,000 miles regardless of whether the owner is the original buyer. Safety recalls are also free for all. I don't think it is required that the rest of the warranty transfer.

Reply to
John F. Carr

Not the case for me. My 2003 A3 which I bought when it was one year old had 2 further years of warranty on it. The warranty is for the *car* not for the owner. You can't simply negate any warranty simply because the car changes hands! That's crazy.

It is required if you need to claim off it! I would advise the OP to check with their local Audi centre and find out the correct details.

Reply to
Graham

"Art M" wrote

Yes, the original warranty transfers to the second owner.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Thanks for the information. I replied to you yesterday, but I added to the header to indicate a request for repair manuals. Some of you must be using services that didn't keep that reply in the same thread.

I called my local Audi dealer today (in the USA) and they said the warranty is with the vehicle and does transfer to the new owner. Maybe what John said applies to service plans such as those that include free oil changes. I didn't ask about that.

--Art

Reply to
Art M

Great to hear and thanks for posting the clarification. I couldn't honestly see how it could be otherwise, but good to know for sure. :-)

Reply to
Graham

Yes it's part of the contract but most are transferable, that's also in the contract. That's usually the case.

--Vic

Reply to
vjs