Warranty on engine question

Hello my engine light came on yesterday, the car is consuming oil. My timming belt broke last year on february and my dealer says that because I am second owner and my car has 63k miles, the work they did is not under warranty eventhough it has being less than a year since this happen. The other dealership where i got my car says that the engine should be under warranty for 12 months. Can anyone clarify this? I live in boston ma and it seems like all dealers are playing around with me. I spent $1000 a year on my 2002 hyndai accent repairs. This sounds right for a bmw but not for an accent :(

Reply to
joe

Are you expecting it to be covered by the remainder of the new car warranty or under a warranty for the repairs? IIRC, the new car warranty for a second owner is 60k, but verify that with Hyundai. If I'm reading this correctly, you are not covered under the original. Do you have any paperwork from the repair that states anything different?

This is from the Hyundai web page Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e. selected Engine and Transmission/Transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to Original Owner only effective with 2004 Model Year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999-2003 Model Years, coverage applies to Original Owner and immediate family members (i.e. wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5 year / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e. taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I bought an extended warranty. one of the dealers is saying that because the engine heads where replaced under the hyundai warranty then I should have a year if anything breaks on the heads. My problem is that the car is cosuming oil about a quarter every 2000 miles :(

Reply to
joe

So, is NOT a Hyundai Dealer, and NOT a Hyundai warranty .... and you or the original owner voided the warranty by not changing the timing belt on time ...

But, you think it's a Hyundai problem ..... nice try .... now go and get a life.

Reply to
Vic Garcia

You receive for any repairs for which you pay at a dealer, a warranty on the factory parts installed which will cover the cost of repair should that part be defective. This warranty is provided by Hyundai and does not cover the dealer?s workmanship.

The dealer is, in most states, required to provide a warranty on their repairs. This warranty would typically include workmanship as well as parts. Where I live, the requirement is for 90 days or 4,000 miles.

Repairs performed under the original factory warranty are only warranted by Hyundai until the end of the factory warranty period.

The problems you say you have, an oil leak and a check engine lamp, may well be unrelated to the parts which were replaced. It?d be my recommendation to expect to pay for repairs.

"joe" wrote: > Hello my engine light came on yesterday, the car is consuming > oil. My > timming belt broke last year on february and my dealer says > that > because I am second owner and my car has 63k miles, the work > they did > is not under warranty eventhough it has being less than a year > since > this happen. The other dealership where i got my car says that > the > engine should be under warranty for 12 months. Can anyone > clarify > this? I live in boston ma and it seems like all dealers are > playing > around with me. I spent $1000 a year on my 2002 hyndai accent > repairs. > This sounds right for a bmw but not for an accent :(

Reply to
Hyundaitech

Doubt that it would be covered under Hyundai. I think you have to talk to the company with the extended warranty. Given the miles, past experience, and oil consumption, I'd seriously think about trading it in.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yep, just pass the problem on to the next poor sucker. That's the American way...

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I never felt so "responsible" that I'd keep a losing proposition of a machine just so it would not fall into the hands of someone else.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks guys, very helpfull. I go the car back. All work was done at hyundai dealers. But it does not look like anything is under warranty. I got the car back after replacement of plugs/cables and sesor for a wooping $350 at the hyundai dealer again. Seems to run ok I will keep an eye on the oil level and if it continues to consume oil, i will have to take somewhere.

Reply to
joe