Pad wear indicator?

AFAIK the handbrake never operates on disc-brakes (only on "drum" brakes or whatever they're called in english). If you got disc in all corners there will be a small, separate set of brakes to serve the handbrake. If the handbrake was operating on the hydraulic disc brakes I guess a pressure drop in the system over time would be very critical.

Regards Rune

Reply to
Rune Skigelstrand

Heh

That grinding sound would be her teeth I suppose.

Definitely an indication to slow down and proceed with caution.

Reply to
GravyCat

Rubbish. The handbrake draws a wire connected to a lever in the side of the (disc) brake. Pulling the wire causes the piston to move outwards. I'm assuming we're discussing the A4 or similar (have not bothered to check the start of this thread to see if this is the case).

Careful with that word "never". Take off a back wheel one day and have a look.

On newer Saabs and lots of other cars, the handbrake operates a variant of drum brake, even if the wheel in question is stopped by a disc brake.

/Robert ('01 A4 Avant, '99 Saab 9-3, '83 Saab 900)

Reply to
Robert Brown

Recheck your sources. Placement of sensors was not determined due to how often front or rear pads wear out.

The idea with having the sensors on the fronts is that loss of braking ability on the front axle has greater consequences than losing it on the back.

Not always. Many will tell you that they've worn out more rear pads than fronts, despite having fully-functional (i.e. not binding or rusted) sliding calipers and pistons. But yes, stuck calipers will cause dragging pads, hence wear - but this problem is easy to detect due to the outside pad wearing more quickly than the inside one, on a given brake.

I agree with that one, living in Scandinavia. I have had a stuck caliper on the rear, due to salt water seeping through the rubber bellows protecting the pin on which the caliper slides. It was sufficient to file away the rust, grease it, refit, then replace pads. I must have dislodged the bellows through careless use of my water hose . . .

/Robert (Sweden)

Reply to
Robert Brown

Actually, that's very often true (hence my fudging ;o), but not always.

IIRC, the 2CV (just to take an example) used an entirely separate braking mechanism - two additional pads on the front wheels. c1937 or so.

Implementations vary.. when I fudge an answer, I try to do it properly ;o)

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

"AFAIK" should be careful enough, don't you think?

Reply to
Rune Skigelstrand

The design you're thinking of (a small mechanical drum brake at the center of the disk) *is* used in BMWs, at least. However, the Audi design actually

*does* operate directly on the disks. It is a cable-actuated *mechanical* system (separate from the hydraulics) that clamps the rear pads to the disks by pushing on the pistons. Personally, I think it's kind of a stupid, overly complex and expensive design, but that's what it is.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

The French don't count. Well, maybe to 3. Sometimes.

Reply to
Mark Allread