Rover 75 - Pad Wear Indicator

I have a Rover 75 2.0 CDT Classic SE to which I had some new pads fitted (and a pair of new discs) after my wear indicator lamp came on. But this didn't stop the indication. I have checked the connections to the pads and they appear to be ok

Am I correct in assuming :

1) that the sensor is integral to the pad or is it a separate component ? Also 2) the electric circuit is normally closed and opens when pad wear nears the recommended limit

Regards & TIA

Reply to
Jim Lad

The sensor is a flying lead which inserts a probe into a cavity in the back of the pads. It works by the probe being worn through when the pads wear down and then goes open circuit.

The lead is (if you can still get it!) £15 from a dealer.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Thanks for the info ... The front lead (£11.80) has been renewed without making any apparent difference... will renew the rear one next.

The cable just clipped onto the steel backing plate of the pad ... where exactly is the probe ... is a separate entity to the pad

Reply to
Jim Lad

The probe is just the loop in the cable with the clip attached - nothing fancy.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

OK ... Can you explain in simple terms how it detects that the pad is worn Please excuse my pestering but I am intrigued and would like to rectify the fault myself if possible without having recourse to the main dealers.

This car less than 5 years old and less than 50k miles has cost me an arm and a leg with replacing 2 rusty front to rear brake pipes, one flexible brake hose, a complete set of discs part of wiring loom had to be replaced to cure an ABS fault light (due to corroded connections) rear shock absorber (leaking)_ new lower suspension arm (due to worn ball joint)

Regards & Thanks again

Reply to
Jim Lad

It detects wear by the brake disk wearing down the pad and then wearing through the wire that's in the pad - the wire quite simply gets cut when the pad wears low enough to allow the brake disk to wear through the sensor wire.

The set of discs seems to be typical - I needed to replace mine around 55k on the same car. The electrical conncetors on that car are a pile of shit - I've had an intermittant fault with the OSF indicator bulb ceasing to exist as far as the car's concerned for years.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown