Program Key Remote

Hi guys..

I was wondering if there was a way to program a key remote if you don't have another key. I have read a couple places that it can easilly be done with another key, but I do not have one. Any ideas?

BTW...I have a 98 Audi A4 2.8 if that matters. Thanks!!!!!!

Reply to
cnorth

I had similar problem when I bought a '99 A3 1.8se which came with just one 'flip' key remote and no other keys.

It's easy enough to get a second key mechanically cut: keycutters on [uk] Ebay can do this from a good digital pic. and can provide the VAG key code for your own key. Ebay will also provide [eg from Hong Kong] blaanks of VAG key blades [eg mine was HAA type] which local mechanical keycutters will cut [cutting an own-supply blank costs. me GBP 5.00 locally].

This will provide a second mechanical key blank which will unlock your doors if manually inserted or which can be used as the second mechanical key you'll need to program a remote 'flip' key to unlock your central locking. AFAIK this is fairly easy to do if you do have two keys but you'll struggle if you only have one cut-key.

BUT all the foregoing ONLY works to with the vehicle central locking and with the ignition switch if you have a compatible key - if you need a key which will actually work to start and run your vehicle AFAIK you have no alternative but to get a VAG dealer to reprogram a VAG transponder-type key to your particular own-vehicles ECU/immobilizer.

Thus, getting keys to work for door/central locking; ignition switch and vehicle-running/operation are all ver distinct and separate issues / projects.

This just reflects personal and UK experience but HTH

David

Reply to
NUFFSNUFF

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hi and thanks for the reply. Here is my situation. I lost my key, so I bought one on ebay. It is a remote and switchblade style key. I got my keycode from Audi and had a local locksmith cut it. I have tested it and it works great. Now I just need my remote to work (lock and unlock the doors). This is all I need to program. My key does not have a transponder in it.

Does this change anything, or make it easier for me?

Reply to
cnorth

Your A4 doesn't sport the antitheft interlock that requires a key transponder.

If you now have two cut keys, one with the remote, the other without, there is a procedure that you use with the remote key in the ignition and the other key in the driver's side door lock. I can't remember the details but if you don't get someone else to step in by the weekend I can read it off my owner's manual...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Hi

Unless you have another 'non-remote' key which will turn in the ignition-lock, AFAIK you'll need to get another one cut.

Here's the procedure for programming remote[s] using one key ['valet key' in this case] in ignition + however many remotes you need to program [itself culled from another discussion forum] HTH David

  1. Take the valet key, put it into the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position, just prior to starting the car.

  1. Roll down the driver's side window (not required, but a good idea in case there's a problem).

  2. Exit the car and close the door.

  1. With a second key, physically lock the doors (don't use a remote).

  2. Take the first remote to be programmed, press one of the buttons and the lights will flash once. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. That first transmitter is now programmed.

  1. Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote).

  2. Press one of the buttons twice, the lights will flash twice. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The second transmitter is now programmed.

For a third transmitter press the button 3 times and for a fourth press

4 times.
Reply to
NUFFSNUFF

I followed this precedure and the locks work but the car will not start. Any suggestions?

2002 A6 4.2L

snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM wrote:

Reply to
gobraves

Yes, you've coded the key transmitters to the central locking module. Now you need to get the immobiliser transponder added into the table in the instrument cluster.

Information can be found here:

I'm afraid that it's most likely that you will need to go to your Audi dealer (and pay!) to get this done.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Interesting thing is once programmed the car will start (albiet the dash light for the key stays on) any number of times. It stops the first time you use the remote to open the doors or trunk. Go figure. I believe I will need to have this done at the dealers. Thanks all.

Peter Bell wrote:

Reply to
gobraves