Protecting the investment: new TT

What can you recommend to keep the leather supple and clean, and the alloy (7-spoke) wheels looking pristine?
I'm in the US. Thanks up front,

--
Charles Fox
snipped-for-privacy@gte.net

For leather, I use Lexol Leather Cleaner and Lexol Leather Conditioner (available at Pep Boys or at many online places like www.carcareonline.com for example). For alloys, I just use the same car shampoo that I use for the rest of the car - Meguiar's Gold Class, available at Target. The key is to wash the rims frequently to not allow brake dust to build up, and never wash them when they're hot.
Cheers,
Pete
writes

Interesting. Two questions:
1. Why exactly is that?
2. Does this mean you're best not using warm/hot water when washing alloys?
--
Toby

never
Same reason why you should not wash your car in direct sunlight. When the surface is hot and you suddently treat it with cold/cool water, the drastic temperature difference and rapid cooling is not good for the finish. It's even worse with rims because when you drive, they become very hot from the nearby brakes, especially in the front. That's why it's a good idea to let them cool off for 30 minutes or so before washing.

No, not necessarily. The idea is just to keep the the temperature difference between the alloys and the water down to a minimum, if possible. If it's 40 degrees C outside and you just finished driving with heavy brake use, don't pour freezing-cold water on them. If it's 0 degrees C outside and the car sat outside overnight, don't pour steaming-hot water on the alloys.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Pete
It is very nice to have voices of reason answer my questions. My thanks, as always.
--
Charles Fox
snipped-for-privacy@gte.net