PS fluid replacement....

Hello all, in a rush, very very rush, I poured brake fluid in my power steering reservoir and now, as most of you will know, the steering is getting very difficult and loud. My questions are as follows, since this is a long weeekend here in NJ:

1) can, should and how do I drain the PS fluid in the '96 A6 wagon efficiently and safely what tools will be required to acheive this?;

2) It appears that there is a special PS fluid to be used or can what a local auto repair store has in stock for this vehicle good enough? and

3) How much time should I potentially allocated to this project?

Thank you all in advance for input and consideration.

Desparate in NJ... ;-)

Reply to
Bo1953

Yes you should drain the system.

This is just a guess as I have not worked on steering in the A6 (just the T44s).

- open the PS fluid reservoir

- place a pan under the steering rack

- loosen but do not remove the banjo bolts holding the lines to the steering rack

- with engine running, cycle the steering wheel lock-to-lock several time being careful to not put pressure on the wheel at the lock postions

- replace the fluid with Pentosin 11. It is expensive but necessary. Don't use anything else. It can be found at Dealers but many auto stores carry it also. Usually found in square steel bottles.

- cycle the steering rack again to bleed the system

Reply to
Tony

Oh-oh. Some brake fluids don't mix with oils. Try flushing it out a couple of times. You can use crappy PS fluid (as long as it's the right formula) for this then use a good fluid to finish with. Change the fluid again halfway to the next service interval.

If you do this yourself, call around to see who will take the odd mix of fluid that you've made. At least in California, most gas stations won't take mixes of brake fluid and oil for recycling. It has to go to the hazmat drop-off at the dump.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

Yeah that sounds like one way.

Another way may be to drain the reservoir (turkey baster with hose on tip may work) and refill it with the proper fluid, remove the PS return hose at the reservoir nipple, plug nipple and aim it into a bucket. If you have to extend the hose that is good too so you don't make a mess and can measure the quantity that comes out. Then start the engine, turn the steering lightly from lock to lock and keep adding the proper fluid into the reservoir until you see the proper color of the fluid coming out. You can always measure the amount that comes out too and compare that to the total fluid requirements of your steering system!

It helps if you have a helper and it might take you 20-30 minutes. ;-) I will assume that you will need about 4 containers which might run you about $100 for all four. I calculate at least 2 to flush and the other two to refill which might give you some extra so this won't happen again! ;-) And since you were adding some fluid we can assume you have a small leak and will need the extra fluid.

Your system probably requires the synthetic mineral oil. I believe that there are two types, regular and synthetic.

Consider it a maintenance job that should be done every so many years. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Dave. You win. Yours is the best way :-)

Reply to
Tony

It may not be the "best" but IMHO it is the lazy way to do it! lol

Tony yours is probably more thorough where you take apart the lines and actually use some proper flushing solution for this type of job.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1