C900 Milky PS Fluid?

Hi All, I think I accidentally got some water in my power steering fluid reservoir while topping up with TQ-F last time (I have a slight leak and have to top up every now and then). When I came to check today the translucent red fluid had turned to a milky pink! Do I need to / can I flush the system? and if so is it easy to do or best left to a mechanic? The steering has been as responsive as ever, no signs of 'morning sickness' and it's not made any funny noises (like it did when it almost ran dry). Thanks, GG.

Reply to
GG

If it's any consolation, the PS fuid in one of my 900s is black, like old engine oil :-( I won't flush it until I change the rack, because it will almost definitely exacerbate the minor leak currently present.

Do you need to? Depends how much water you got in there.

Flushing is pretty easy. Best done with the front wheels off the ground. Disconnect both hoses going to the reservoir, and put them in a container (an old 5l oil bottle works well). With the engine running, turn the steering lock-to-lock a few times until no more fluid comes out of the hoses.

Reconnect the hoses, and refill the system with fresh fluid. Bleed by turning the steering lock-to-lock a few more times, topping up fluid in the reservoir as you do so.

Lower the car to the ground. That's it.

Reply to
Grunff

Like wise with mine.

It is good and red, but has a slight leak that I won't mess with (appears to be leaking from the tank not the rack, as the braiding on the hose is wettest at the top.) Don't want to tighten it much further as I don't want to crack the tank neck.

About once every 6 months I need to give it a topup. Only fluid I could find in the local halfords was slick 50 steering rack fuid (not the additive). It's clear, and seems to have slowed down the leak as it has a seal condition in it (standard slick 50 additive no doubt).

Worked fine so far

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Well this milky solution appears to have reduced my leak

about two table spoons worth, used kitchen roll to try and soak it up at the time and all seemed fine. Another cause could be from mixing TQ and TQ-F though I was assured by a mechanic it would be fine.

I'll add it to the list; ball joints, shocks, etc... Thanks a lot for the help. Regards, GG.

Reply to
GG

Mine too but my 9k has a filter in the tanker. Thought I'd ask the local dealer for one when I was servcing me car. They said they had never sold one ;(

Reply to
Adrian England