A few thoughts:
1) wheel bearing?
2) worn steering linkage - happened to my 2000 A6 and the symptoms sound
3) thrown wheel weight. Please pardon the intrusion if you've had the
balance checked since the symptoms presented themselves and are not relying
on the balancing done 3000 miles ago (I mean recent enough to mentally rule
it out but not since the symptom).
4) bent wheel
daytripper, Just in case stephens is not familiar with you
terminology. I would call this a delaminating tire. I have seen
this symptom several time with that being the cause.
'91 100Q 5spd
Type 44s forever
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:16:43 -0400, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
1) A bent wheel. Bent wheels "appear" to be balanced on the
machines, but not on the car.
2) A worn steering or suspension ball joint
3) A worn rubber bush in a suspension joint
4) Tracking out
Most likely to be 2, 3 or 4 (or a combination), but the bent wheel may
be the root-cause, so get that checked out.
I have a very similar problem on my '98 A6Q (128,000 miles) and the
dealer cannot find the problem. Looks like I'll have to get the jack
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.