Front wheel stud fatigue failures

Brought my '04 Highlander in for oil and filter replacement 2/1/2012. During Toyota's Service Department's usual check for other stuff (tire wear, fluids, battery, etc.) they broke two studs on the front left side when they were reinstalling the wheel. They showed me one of the studs (I kept it) and said they'd replace them for free.

Got home and took a closer look at the broken stud. Now I've spent forty-two years in aerospace in Metallurgy and Quality Engineering. I know a fatigue failure when I see one. This broken stud was a fatigue failure that had begun much earlier than last Thursday. Here's a picture of the fracture face:

So if two of them broke prematurely, the others are suspect. I brought the car back in Thursday to have all the remaining studs replaced. They were short four, so I got an estimate of about $159 and said I'd be back Friday.

Yesterday (Friday) I took it in and had ALL the remaining front wheel studs replaced. The cost was $171.88. Huh? They charged me for two lug nuts they said were "missing." If the lug nuts were present Wednesday and missing Friday, then THEY lost them. Either that or they sent me home Wednesday missing two lug nuts on the left front wheel. They had to have been there then or else they couldn't have broken the studs when they were reinstalling the front wheels. Still waiting on an answer for that. Seriously, I need to find a new Toyota service department.

Ed Maier Arlington, TX

Reply to
Ed Maier

One reason for wheel studs failing prematurely is improper torque. If the lug nuts are not tightened properly (too loose) the studs can suffer fatique failures. And if the nuts are over torqued, the studs can be damaged which can also lead to failure later on. If you have been using this same dealer for regular servic, then I'd be concerned that they aren't very careful about torquing lug nuts properly.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The only other time the wheels come off is during a rotation or when I buy new tires. Discount Tire always uses a hand-held torque wrench for final tighten as I've often witnessed. As far as all other service, it has been done by the dealer. I can't go back in the shop to see what Don Davis Toyota uses for final tighten.

Ed Maier

Reply to
Ed Maier

I had always had my tires rotated by a Toyota dealer. When I needed new tires I went to Discount Tire. It really impressed me that you could look out a big window into the work area. They used some impact wrenches to tighten the tires, then a hand held torque wrench for the final tightning.

Not sure about the tire prices, but they do provide free flat repairs for anyone in the family if you buy a set from them. Also the rotation is free.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Ed Maier posted for all of us...

Please don't top post & trim your messages - anyway....

Like the Snap-on guy told me: "All they have to do is show you/point to the torque stick and say they used that. Doesn't mean they did."

Also alloy wheels usually need to be re-torqued after a certain mileage.

Buy a half decent torque wrench and socket and use that as a dedicated setup after tire work.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Discount Tire has a GREAT BIG window that we can look through and watch them use torque wrenches. I also watch through the open bay door, too. (That does mean they did, ya know.) They rotate my tires every 5K, again as I often watch through the big window or open bay door.

I've probably owned twenty cars in my long life so far. I've only had ONE other instance of a broken wheel stud. Been awhile back, but it had something to do with LH threads on a '52 Plymouth. :-)

Ed (Already own a torque wrench) Maier

Reply to
Ed Maier