Re: Battery drain mystery solved... Or is it?

Hi Victor,

It would be easy enough to test by connecting the CD changer power lead in series with a 12-volt lamp. Please see the procedure in Section 10 in the FAQ on

Kindest regards,

BiLL.......

Hello, > >Some time ago I asked you about a possible solution for the battery >drain problem I had. Thread "Battery in cold weather" that I began >on December 17 last year. Well, finally I took my A4 in for service >and also asked them to look for the offending subsystem (my own try >to search for a system that took too much current when the car was >off, ended without a certain conclusion, I couldn't examine all the >parts of the electrical system). > >The dealer came back with a definite answer: the CD changer (6-disk >unit installed in the trunk) was consuming about 80% of the stand-by >power. They disconnected it. No objection from me. > >Now I am wondering whether it's a normal behaviour of all in-trunk >CD changers or whether this particular one is defective. I honestly >don't want to spend another $49 bucks at (and a trip for many miles >to) a dedicated repair facility. Besides, it's basically summer and >the drain when happens is not as noticeable as in cold weather. > >So, group, any experience similar to mine? Many of you have a CD >thing in their trunks or under seats installed? Ever noticed any >kind of misbehaviour on their part? > >Thank you for your replies. > >Victor
Reply to
Bill Darden

Well, I think that's what the dealer did when I asked them to find the battery drain. My own exercise with the fuses gave me minimal drain in the subsystem under the fuse #37 (door locks and window motors, IIRC). But it definitely wasn't enough. The dealer said the CD changer was eating way too much. After disconnecting it, the current was about 40 milliamps. I was just asking to see if somebody else ever encountered a similar problem with their changer.

Thanks for the link, though. I'm definitely bookmarking it.

Reply to
Victor Bazarov