Battery question

Went to start the wife's car this morning and the battery is dead! Car is used 5 dyas a week for about 30 mile return journey, so chargind should be OK. Given that battery is several years old and that I don't want wife stranded at work, my best guess is that battery has died and is best replaced. Any other suggestions, please?

John

Reply to
John Moppett

Modern batteries do seem to die suddenly, but I would check the earth strap from the battery to the car body first.

Reply to
TTT

Check all batt connections are good (clean and tight). Check fan belt not slipping (is at correct tension). Check current from battery when everything is switched off (remember boot lights, interior lights etc). Remember also you may lose the radio code by discon, the battery to do this. Measure batt terminal voltage with everything off, then measure that votage when engine running - you should see 13-14 volts. That'll give an idea the charging circuit is *probably* working. Check alternator brushes - usually available as a replacement brush set. (cost £10-20) /and/or replace battery. I am assuming you know how to do all the above safely. All your your own risk of course etc etc

Reply to
Dave

Yes - a raincoat .

Your wife is bound to get stranded when its pissing with rain and you get the call for help :-)

Reply to
SOR

Hi John,

Please see Section 17 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on

for a simple troubleshooting guide for dead battery problems. If your battery is over four years old, it cetrainly would be worth having it tested, but the more common problems are a loose or broken alternator belt, corroded battery or ground terminal connetions, or a faulty charging system.

Kindest regards,

BiLL.......

Reply to
Bill Darden