Re: coolant leak after timing belt change

You don't say what engine you have.

If it is a V6 definitely should have changed the water pump.The pump bearings and seals fail at 60K miles + since the water pump is driven by the timing belt this is the primary cause of early failure of the timing belt.

I changed the timing belt in our 1997 A4 a few months ago, and the car > seems to have developed a slow coolant leak. It's only losing about > half a cup or so a month, but it's frustrating nonetheless. > > As I like to live dangerously, I didn't change the water pump while I > was in there. I didn't open the cooling system at all, so I'm a > little confused as to why this is cropping up. I suspect I loosened a > hose when I moved the front end carrier forward, but I can't find the > leak for the life of me. > > Does anyone have any insight or hints on where to look first? > > thanks! > >
Reply to
Mike Whiteman

Sorry, it's my first day :)

It's the 1.8T.

Unhelpful, but thanks anyhoo.

Reply to
Pronto Breakneck

Chances are it is water pump. Water pumps start leaking quite often when they are not replaced together with timing belt and the belt's tension is not adjusted absolutely perfectly.

Check out this message, sounds exactly like your case:

Good luck

Reply to
D O G