Re: So much for EDL!!

JP,

> Not to rub it in, but I'm sure my '87 5ktq (Quattro I) would have made it > without problems. Of course, I'd have to reach down and switch the locks on > by hand ;-) > Which car is this? IIRC, something like this is addressed by ESP (applying > brakes to the spinning wheels) is it not? > Cheers! > Steve Sears > 1987 Audi 5kTQ > 1980 Audi 5k > 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes > (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply) > > > It so happened that as I got to the restaurant of my choice yesterday the > > car park was full and so I decided I would make full use of Quattro to > park > > by driving up onto a slope (about 12% steep) with only the two right > wheels > > onto a grass fringe (wet with hail from a recent storm) while keeping the > > two left wheels on the road's tarmac. I was pretty confident Quattro would > > have no problem in driving up along the fringe for about 4 m so that the > car > > was out of anyone's way. Well, I was totally disappointed to get a bitter > > taste of the old days when we used to get stuck without Quattro. Still > > refusing to believe this, I got out to check that there was enough > clearance > > all the way up and there certainly was. Then I made sure the car did not > > nosedive into the fringe. Everything was OK but the car still refused to > > start off uphill. My only resort was to shily reverse onto the tarmac and > > try to find a more traditional parking space. > > > > I was taken aback in such a way that on coming out of the family reunion > > meal I asked both my father in his A6 2.5TDI Q and my brother-in-law in > his > > 02 A4 1.8T Q (on winter tyres) to try the experiment, as they were telling > > me it must have been a case of my EDL not working properly. Well, they got > > the same identic result: the front right and rear right wheels kept > spinning > > to no avail while the other two did not move an inch. > > > > My conclusion is that while Torsen works flawlessly, EDL (Electronic > > Differential Lock) is no less than a big fiasco, at least when there is a > > big difference in terms of surface friction coeficient between the two > sides > > of the car alongside. > > > > I remember reading once that Jeep's Quadradrive and BMWs x systems had > been > > the only ones to pass a certain traction test on rollers, while Quattro > and > > the rest had failed, but I refused to believe this. However after this, I > > think I'll have to warm up to better systems which have evolved with the > > times. > > > > A totally disappointed Quattro ex-believer, > > > > JP Roberts > > > > > >

Just press the ESP button, it turns off EDL

Reply to
Ronny

It's a '98 A4 1.8T Quattro, so no ESP, but it is precisely because EDL does not seem to work as advertised that the car would not start, as the differentials did not lock on any of the 3 cars!

"Ronny" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Reply to
JP Roberts

JP, I seem to remember a discussion about the "roller test" at the quattro Challenge I attended at Mosport in 2001 - at the time they had ESP equipped on the cars so I guess you're not a believer in EDL quattro but possibly a believer in EDL quattro with ESP....didn't the '02 have ESP??? Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - quattro non ESP, EDL, EIEIO 1980 Audi 5k - non-quattro
Reply to
Steve Sears

I didnt think the 98 A4 had EDL? it should be true Torsen 4wd 50/50.?

The electonic gizmo's started in 2000??

Reply to
Ronny

50/50 front/rear distribution doesn't help if the traction difference is side/side.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Not true! Even my 96 A4 2.6 FWD was equipped with EDL and ASR.

Reply to
Peter Bell

"Steve Sears" escribió en el mensaje news:kUj2e.2330$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

The '02 in question has ESP so I did not see that made a difference. Now, I'm sure your '87 manual diff locks would have done the trick. Surely those were the days when cars were made properly and with no big gizmos!

Reply to
JP Roberts

JP, ESP didn't help? whaddayaknow. Sure, the '87 didn't have big gizmos - but the medium to small gizmos still were problematic - like hydraulically power assisted brakes, ABS, power windows, door handles, headlights (did I say "medium"?)....... They all have their quirks. Cheers! Steve Sears